I’ve made some progress hacking together a shell modifier. It’s pretty simple so far, but basically functional.
Which is nice.
However I could use the advice of dev with a problem with following the subsurf modifier:
In Object mode it looks fine
However, when you enter edit mode the shell disappears
Anybody know why?
I’m splitting the development into three parts.
Basic shell modifier. This should:
- Optionally create a new surface displaced along vertex normals of old surface (choose amount of displacement)
- Optionally skin the the gap between the new surface and the original surface
- Optionally remove the original surface
- Optionally (default yes) flip the normals of the original surface
- Displace the original surface along it’s new normals (choose amount)
How does this sound?
Improved shell modifier
Add option to enter shell thickness (ie distance between faces rather than displacement along normals). Limit normal displacement to some multiple of shell thickness
Super Improved shell modifer
Multiply vertex displacement by vertex group weightings