shift-e x mirror on and they are not the same length?

:eek:

What would cause the two extruded bones to not be the same length? I have never seen this happen before.

And you know, it shouldnt have happened, either.

Is it based off the center point? If so I would think the bone on the right of the picture would then be the longest not the one on the left.

Also, how do you change the center of an armature?

Thanks

Attachments

Yes I think your bone wasn’t aligned properly to the X axis when you Shift-E/mirror extruded your bones … though you are right about the relative length’s of the bones …

You change the center of an armature like you change the center for any object, i.e. you can move the entire set of bones in Edit Mode to where you want the cneter to be or use the object transform from the 3D header Object-> Transform-> ObData to Center etc …

Though if you actually mean how do you align a bone (like the bone you extruded from) to the X axis properly (has the same X transform value), just select the entire bone and hit S then X then numerical input 0 … and if you want to make the mirrored extruded bones the same length just grab one side and move it and the mirrored side with snap to the same length … and then Shift-S with cursor etc to snap the root tips back to where they were supposed to extrude out from .

Though if you actually mean how do you align a bone (like the bone you extruded from) to the X axis properly (has the same X transform value), just select the entire bone and hit S then X then numerical input 0 … and if you want to make the mirrored extruded bones the same length just grab one side and move it and the mirrored side with snap to the same length … and then Shift-S with cursor etc to snap the root tips back to where they were supposed to extrude out from .

HUH?!?

Ok way over my head. Thank you for the fast response.

When I select the armature in object mode, the center dot is off center. And I vaguely remember moving that center bone, it was added after the arm bones were done.

I did an ctrl a on everything, but the center is still in the wrong place.

I also did grab the long boned and try to shorten it but it shortened both of them. Then I just stopped before I started banging my head on my keyboard.

Now on the last part above I dont understand…

I did the new x, and that put it outside of the model, so I undid it. Then I tried to make the two extruded bones the same length.

I moved one to the shoulder point, and then tried to snap the root back to position, however, both of them snapped crossing each other, looking really strange.

So perhaps you could explain it again?

And how can I change the center of the armature? thanks.

Ok the last part simply means select the entire misaligned bone (tip and root) that you extruded out from and hit S to scale and X to restrict along the X axis and then zero to align them to the same X value .
With the extruded mirrored bones, just grab the root tip of one side and move it (yes it will change its size don’t worry about that now) and the other side should assume the same position only mirrored . Now if you want to get the root tips of the mirrored bones back to the place where they should have been extruded from select the root tip of the first bone that should now be properly aligned to the X axis hit Shift-S -> Cursor to Selection then select the root tip of one of the extruded mirrored bones and Shift-S -> Selection to Cursor . Now everything should be the way it should be .

And as for moving the armature object center like I said you can just select all the bones in Edit Mode and move them to where the object center looks good to you (not very accurate) or you can (still in Edit Mode) select the Root bone (the first bone in the armature hierarchy … the mother of all bones etc…) and Shift-S -> Cursor to Selection then tab into Object Mode and from the 3D header -> Object -> Transform -> Center to Cursor … or select from the other two choices …

… hope this was clearer …

yES, thank you. However I just undid back to the before extrusion and then moved the mother of all to the object center first, which actually put it in the crotch and not the chest. LOL.

I did the obdata to center first. and then I did something else, and that made the whole armature jump above the model, oh maybe that was the ofdata to center that did that. I dont remember.

I will start again from the saved file and do it a couple times so hopefully I wont forget how to do it again. Oh I can add a txt note how to fix it…duh.

Thanks again.

If you want to manually set where the center of a bone/mesh/curve/whatever is, in edit mode, select all, then grab and move. Just keep your eye on the little dot that is the center.

PS-great job on the doll!

Thank you… yep I finally figured it out.