Shiny...drool...it's a bunch of brand-new screws. UPDATED!

I’ve taken your criticism seriously…

OLD image:

http://www.hamsterking.com/blender/3d/screwsdof.jpg

NEW IMAGE:

http://www.hamsterking.com/blender/3d/screws2.jpg

Still rendered with the blender internal renderer, this time
with a whopping 10 x Ambient occlusion with BOTH sub/add.
and 16 x antialiassing + 1.15 gaussian AA.

try elevating octree resolution, and maybe use zblur to make the image softer - it’s still very sharp. but much better

You’ve got a few foreground screws that appear to be floating with no visible means of support. I’m particularly looking at the one in the upper-left corner.

For a studio photographer this would be a very tricky lighting situation. Your second photo is “better” because it has a wider range of light-to-dark (while not letting anything drop to opaque-black). We’d say that that the first photo is probably “Zone-4 to Zone-6” while the second is “Zone-3 to Zone-7 or 8,” borrowing from Ansel Adams’ zone-system.

But those screw-heads are really throwing back a lot of light into the lens, from what looks to be a very large and very bright softbox. It tends to flatten-out the screw heads and to draw too much attention to them, because the eye is inevitably drawn to the brightest spot in a picture. I’d probably try re-lighting the scene to put in a few point light-sources so that the specular reflections off those screws are more pointed and overall slightly less bright. But I still want that broad contrast-range and definitely-white color temperature to the light.

Lemme give you one more old photographer’s trick: you can have some light from underneath. You still want the objects to look like they’re sitting on a solid surface that you can barely-see in the shadows, but you can ease-up on the contrast in that area by injecting a low amount of light from beneath the table. Experiment with various colors on your fill-lights. For example I was fond of clipping a yellow-orange gel onto the “hair” light.

Image is looking good… I do like the lighting in the first post better…

Question… did you position each screw by hand??? Making sure not to have any over lap or “go into” each other… if so, surely we need a Python script that can automatically place objects on themselves.

This makes me wonder… do we have a Python script that would automatically postion objects like this??? (so they just touch each other not go through the mesh)???

:slight_smile: Grab a bunch of objects that are identically placed, run a script and it piles the objects up on each other…

____SysAdm

This will not affect the render quality, only speed.

cool! but too much yellow for me, i think the blue color from the first one should be brought back. very cool though.

SCREWS!!! I LOVE SCREWS!!

THAT’S frikken awesome… but

try rendering it in yafray. :slight_smile:

Is there a feature that would allow objects to touch one another without crossing over ? If there ain’t then this would be perfect feature to be included in Blender.

I agree with Al_Capone, that would be a very helpful tool. If anyone knows if there is such a thing please tell where we can find it. 8)

Wow. Would you be interested in sharing your .blend file? This is quite neat. I don’t see work that looks this good very often! Keep it up!

-Anogarlr

I suppose if you really wanted to, you could make a bunch of screws, then set them up as gravity-affected collision objects in the game engine. Put a bunch of them in the sky. Let the game engine drop them to the ground. Use the script (floating around somewhere) to record the game dynamics as IPOs, then render out a frame with everything nice and settled down.

oooOOOooo very nice! Just tweek the reflections a bit more, and it should be good.

Been thinking about the same thing, well, maybe not the IPO’s.

for a momment i thought the one pluged over at cgtalk was you, damn! Do you know why a set of screws could be pluged here? but none of blender work could make it… a ok i’ll stop now.

thiis excelent, i reckon you only have to use zblur and this is exacly the same quality as the one at cgtalk.