Ship in a bottle - comments please!

Hi,

I’ve nearly finished the first image which i’ve been brave enough to post here - feedback and suggecstions appriciated!

See it at http://www.david-williams.info/resources/renders/output.png

I realise the blurring is a bit strong for the Depth of Field effect, i’ll fix that next render. But the biggest problem I see is that the background isn’t blurred when seen through the bottle. I use the z-blur plugin so presumably i need to avoid putting the bottle into the z-buffer - is there a way to do this?

Any other thoughts/comments?

David

The water should be clearer.

higher spec on glass and warter :slight_smile:

imo have less water and a bigger boat and change cam so you see all of the bottle :smiley:

if you keep water how it is make the spill thiner and were it paint the texture darker as the water would soke into the wood

Boat looks great
looks like toy but guessing thats what you want :smiley:

The water is too blue, and not very watery looking. The ripples on it are quite nice though. Maybe make it a bit more specular…

I like the little guys running around on the deck of the boat! :slight_smile: y’know what would be hilarious? A Man Overboard about to fall out of the bottle and the guy on deck throwing a life ring to him!

I like the effect of the ripples … except there shouldn’t be any. No reason in the physical world why there would be ripples inside the bottle. Having said that, I still like the way the boat looks on the rippled water. Judgement call I assume.

The liquid would not be blue … blue (or green) is do to the depth of the water, not an intrinsic property of the water. Now if there was a dye in the water, that’s different.

I do like the subject though, wish I could do that well. Maybe someday … :-?

I like the little guys running around on the deck of the boat! y’know what would be hilarious? A Man Overboard about to fall out of the bottle and the guy on deck throwing a life ring to him!

Wow … that would make a cool animation too. Almost Twilight Zone like.

Thanks guys, that’s useful feedback…

The water is too blue, and not very watery looking. The ripples on it are quite nice though. Maybe make it a bit more specular…

Yes, I agree the water is a bit ink like. The original concept was that it was set at night and there might even be a storm or something contained within the bottle - but that was a little beyond me. Think I’ll try making the water clearer but applying a blue light to make it look more like night.

imo have less water and a bigger boat and change cam so you see all of the bottle

I fiddled with this for a bit, but I want the water pouring out the bottle - it’s supposed to be surreal with a real world trapped inside the bottle. If i lower the water level I have to make the neck of the bottle bigger and that look a little strange.

But i might make the mast a bit shorter so I can make the boat bigger and still fit it in…

I like the effect of the ripples … except there shouldn’t be any. No reason in the physical world why there would be ripples inside the bottle.

Again, the ripples are there because it’s meant to be a ‘real’ ocean in a bottle. Need to work on conveying that better - it’s true the boat looks a little ‘toy like’.

Anyway thanks again, i’ll post a new one in a couple of days…

I don’t get the sense of the ship being in the bottle. Also, the background competes with the subject matter for my attention, which it should not.

Crop the photo tighter … much tighter. Move the camera in until there’s nothing but the subject in the shot. Experiment with camera-angles and composition possibilities.

Depth of Field – The zblur plugin does not provide a true DoF effect especially in transparency, and somehow removing the bottle from the z-buffer will not really help you.
If you want a true depth of field, your best bet at this point is to use the Yafray renderer and its DOF camera settings. Be warned that you need high antialiasing sample values though, and it takes a long time to render.