Shirt not draping correctly, Tuts are dead

The tutorial that everyone always points to has lost almost all the images, rendering it almost useless. I have scoured the internet finding that there are a lot of results but not that many tutorials about making shirts and stuff. I got the skirt to drape after much trial and error. Now the shirt is just simply annoying me. I want it to drape like a tshirt, instead it puffs up like this

It starts like this.

This is the weight paint for the Elastic, the shirt itself is blue

At one time I had the shirt and skirt was the same but then I decided to try separate settings for each part but it just doesnt seem to work. Do I need to fiddle with soft bodies to drape right or what? See my reply for the settings

Settings:
Click for larger

Oh yeah, the character’s collision settings.

does anyone have have any ideas or know of any good, still alive tutorials?

Hi InsaneXade.

I haven’t put a whole lot of thought into it but it seems like the problem could possibly be the “Distance” value is to high within your cloth object’s Cloth Collision panel; assuming that Cloth Collision is even enabled. The “Distance” attribute can create a puffy effect.

I think that the “Repel” and “Repel Distance” attributes can also create a puffy effect, I think. So you might want to make sure they’re not set to high, if set at all. The “Outer” attribute within the Collision panel of your collision object can also create a puffy effect if set to high; although, judging by your posted image, the “Outer” seems ok – I guess.

Also I couldn’t easily find a clothing with Cloth physics tutorial anywhere but I did find a few fairly decent tutorials on general Cloth physics though…

1. Here is a video from CG Cookie. It’s pretty informative.(I would have imbeded the actual video, but Vimeo.com wouldn’t allow me)
  1. Part 1 of 3 of this tutorial is somewhat informative, and perhaps parts 2 and 3 may be useful to you as well.
  1. Here is a side by side comparison tutorial. You might want to check out this guy’s other tutorials too because there pretty good.

https://youtu.be/k4czh0x31xk

Good day.

Thanks a lot, that really helped, it’s draping correctly now :slight_smile:

It made the skirt drape a little nicer too. I decided that the shirt would not fit her as tightly as before and would be rather loose around her waist, she’s a well endowed but slender girl :). Now, If I could just figure out how to render a single frame…

I am not sure if there is a user preference setting or attribute somewhere that allows for individual images to automatically be saved (I haven’t found it), but what you can do is

• Go to the “Info” Editor at the top of Blender’s default layout and select “Render” >> “Render Image” (I’m assuming you know this already).

• After your single frame is rendered then, from within the Render window( which is also the UV Image Editor), select “Image” >> “Save As Image” then find the “Save As Image” panel within the File Browser and then just select the appropriate file format.

Good night to you…