short animation help

Ok im trying to figure out how to animate a character run through a forest, trip over a sign, pick it up, drop it, then continue walking. I can’t seem to figure out how to do all these things together, and it needs to be done in one scene continuously. I know how to get him to run and follow a path, but can’t figure out how to make him stop to do the other things and then continue walking. Can anybody help me figure out the best way to do this?

Hi kcmcroxton,

I am wondering if you are using the motion deforming feature of the NLA editor to get your character to follow a path? From my expirences, I think it’s the best way to get a character to follow a path. As for getting your character to do all the actions you are thinking of, those will be separate actions you will have to create in the action editor. I made an animation of a character walking and following a path, then stop, then look around a corner. All were separate actions created in the action editor and mixed in the NLA editor. I ran into problems when I tried to overlap actions that used a ‘Stride Bone’ in the NLA editor to blend the actions together, so bear that in mind when creating the actions.

The walk cycle modifiers webpage has 2 example files to help you figure some of this out as well as example files.
http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-243/walk-cycle-modifiers/

Hope this helps
Randy