Short film: Mite! (with sort-of making-of)

After finishing Da New Guys: For The Winnings, I spent quite a bit of time going back and re-learning the basics, and building up my skills as an all-rounder Blenderhead. Since January this year, I’ve been working in my free time on a short comedy about an alien invasion that doesn’t quite go to plan:

http://www.iceboxstudios.co.uk/images/mite/title.jpg

Hope you enjoy it! It got shown at the end of the Suzanne Festival at BConf this year, and it was a real thrill for me to see it on the big screen. I’ve also written down a few production notes. It’s not exactly in-depth, but I hope it’s interesting to some:

Concept / Storyboarding

After seeing the Pixar short Lifted, I really wanted to make my own short comedy about aliens. Since Lifted covered abuduction, I made mine about invasion. The film’s opening gag - where the space-ship is crushed - was in my head from the beginning, and the rest of the film was just an excuse just to tell that one joke!

http://www.iceboxstudios.co.uk/images/mite/makingof-storyboard.jpg

The story evolved constantly during production. As with Da New Guys, I worked with only a basic plot in my head: storyboarding and fine details got wortked out as I tackled each scene. This wasn’t the most professional or efficient way of making a film, but it kept the process creative and stopped work from becoming a slog. Storyboards were crude and very rough - often it was easier to try out ideas by making tiny animatics of 10-second sections to work out the best camera angle or timing.

Early on, the kid played a much smaller role - he was only going to appear amongst a whole series of dangers that the alien faced. I soon found that the movie didn’t have enough of a focus, and making the kid more prominent really helped with the flow.

Characters

http://www.iceboxstudios.co.uk/images/mite/makingof-bob.jpg

I wanted the alien (nicknamed “Bob”) to have a classic “green martian” look, only with human-like white eyes so that he could convey expression easily to the audience. Because he never speaks, so all of his communication had to be done through his eyes. I studied Bassam Kurdali’s Mancandy rig a lot because that also featured stretchy, cartoon-like limbs. Facial deformations were performed using lattices, and I found that a separate lattice to squash and stretch his entire head was absolutely essential for some of the film’s more subtle animations.

http://www.iceboxstudios.co.uk/images/mite/makingof-kid.gif

Both Bob and “The Kid” were modelled using META balls, because both characters have silhouettes made up of primitive shapes. Although I’d drawn standard front and side-view images to work with, I found that META balls made it extremely quick and easy to flesh out the basic shape. I then converted the META balls to a single mesh, used the Poly Reducer script, and made final tweaks to the topology by hand. The faces in particular needed a lot of work at this stage. Looking back, the final topology of the characetrs is far from perfect, but the I’m happy with how quickly I was able to flesh out their overall shape without the need for sculpting or extruding.

While Bob was deformed using an armature and lattices, I used the Mesh Deform tool on the Kid because of his round shape. Taking a leaf from BBB’s chinchilla character, his torso was controlled by a single bone, the scale of which determined the curvature of his back.

Set

http://www.iceboxstudios.co.uk/images/mite/makingof-oldset.jpg

The film’s set was adapted from a piece I’d been working on to improve my environment skills. After playing too much GTA 4 and living in London’s East End, I’d been trying my hand at creating an urban scene, but it was little more than a block of flats, a street, and a motorway. For research, I headed over to Cromwell road, and if you know the area, you can see the influence: the large building in the on the corner is Cromwell Hospital:

http://www.iceboxstudios.co.uk/images/mite/makingof-set.jpg
http://www.iceboxstudios.co.uk/images/mite/cromwell_hospital.jpg

I had some problems with the sun/sky/atmosphere settings as I was still learning, and I’d set the Distance factor too low, causing distant objects to be cast under a much hasher light than they should have been. Unfortunately, render times and compositing issues (see below) meant I didn’t get round to correcting this.

Animation

Richard Williams’ book The Animator’s Survival Kit was an abosolute lifesaver. Very detailed and inspiring, it gave a lot of advice about the subtlety of motion between keyframes. I’m quite happy with how the animation turned out - I think it’s a lot better than my last effort - although none of it was particulary complex. A lot of the animation was was recorded working mainly from one view, and so the characters rarely move “out of plane” (see in particular Bob’s bounce along the pavement towards the end of the movie). As far as using Blender was concerned, the most complicated animation was Bob’s run as the kid chases him down the street. About half a dozen separate animations were were running simaultaneously in the NLA editor - his feet, arms, torso and head were all looped on separate strips so that I could insert one-off animations like him turning around or ducking on top of his run-cycle without the whole body being affected.

Compositing

This was the killer. Because of my PC’s low spec, I wasn’t able to have the tiny alien and large cityscape running together. I ended up making the alien 5 times bigger than he appears to be, composited him in separately. The really tricky part was making the cameras in both the set and character plates match each other, despite the scaling factor. I managed this by parenting the camera in the character files to an empty at the origin, and then scaled this empty up to 5. Then, when I had finished animating the characters, I linked that file’s camera’s IPO curves into my set’s camera (which had no empty parenting) and, because of the scaling difference between the characters and the set, the camera movement matched. The set was then rendered separately - either as an animation, or as a single plate for still-camera shots - and composited behind the characters to create the final shot. To add in character shadows on top of the pre-rendered plate, I used a separate renderlayer that included a portion of the set geometry with a special material with OnlyShad turned on, and mixed this in with the characters and plates. Hope I explained that right!

Big thanks to Chris Moorson for another great soundtrack. I’ve started work on a third film, and I hope to be a lot less quiet about it’s production this time. With a bit of luck I’ll have something to show in the Works In Progess forum soon.

-Chris

Great!!! It looks very professional!
Characters are very well designed, funny story and a really good animation!
Bob looks really good, I like expecially the facial expressions, while there are some problems with the kid’s movements like walk cycles, etc… With “some problems” I only want to say that they’re not at the same level of the overall work (a very high level in this case)…

Good work!

P.S: Looking forward to the next movie!

Up

No interest? That’s really good…

Wow.

Super nice.

Great story!

pretty good

nice work, congrats for “blendernationing”

Thanks for sharing! The film is a massive improvement over your previous film, congratulations on Blendernationing!

ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICENT for a solo job…
and the scenario is very good

Very well executed! I liked your approach to the story, characters are cool and animation for the most part is excellent! only crit is that you could polish the animation here and there (especially first walk cycle of the kid has some glitches). Other than that, great work!
Can’t wait to see your next project!

very cool. the animation for bob is excellent. his shader is also quite nice. the incedental animation - bird on roof top, etc is great to see. the kid is quite well done, though his shadowing looks a trifle off - too heavy blurred? not sure.
the look on bobs face when he walks down the gangplank is fantastic, and then the switch to his realisation of size is well done.
excellent work there

damn. I had an idea like this…

Very highstandard of animation! :smiley: loved it.
if there were one thing I’d critique it would be the hair and textures.
Other than that it’s awesome!
Best of luck with your next project

Thanks everyone! Yeah, it does have a few problems - textures and lighting being the main, I think. I had real problems getting the lighting done especially, what with the compositing problems and all - in the end I just thought “I’ll get it right in the next movie and move on” :stuck_out_tongue:

woah! that’s a major accomplishment to finish such a project!
the story, the modeling, the little guy’s skin material, the animation, and everything else was top notch! good job :slight_smile:
I really enjoyed watching

Chris, you get better with each film. I can’t wait for the next, especially with 2.5 around the corner. The new features and your talent will be a great combination.

Hi, very good indeed, still from what I’v read here and IMHO It is not lack of skill, because the animation modeling and textures of Bob are very good, so now the Kid is another story he looks washed out, and it haves glitches.
But when Bob is about to be stepped on the street, that really looks good you can feel the difference in size, awesome work.
The acting and directing is also very good.

I understand that this is a one man project right? I imagine that the credits at the end are for sounds and other stuff you used from other guys? (like the freesound project) Can you tell us the specs of your PC and how much time it took to finish it?

Hope you can put a link to your other projects

BTW this is my first post here, only two months studying blender, already overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I need to learn, amazed of how good blender is. I started using the windows version got tired of how much it crashed, installed Ubuntu and now its perfect!

Regards

I just saw it again, this time I read the credits, and was regarded with the end, a good remainder that we have to see all the credits.

There is one thing that strikes me as odd, I just realized that you did the same thing Shayamalan did in signs, (come on! in that movie the alien was defeated with a baseball bat and a glass of water? but still he haves technology to travel faster than light?) Bob walks inside a toy and is deceived to think it is an actual spaceship? and it haves all sorts of buttons and gadgets? (tiny by the way) still I dont know if that is relevant (LOL I am the comic book guy from the simpsons)

I liked it more the second time, congrats again

Cheers Elitubb! I made the film on a 2.4GHz, 2Gb ram PC but I rendered it through Respower renderfarm. Rendering was about 10-15 minutes a frame - WAY too long. Kudos for using Ubuntu - at the Blender conference this year I noticed all the serious blenderheads used it! One of the things I’m studying now is how to render much more efficiently (test renders of my new set are now about 1 minute for the same resolution)

As for the toy at the end, yeah I guess it is a pretty good toy with all those buttons and everything. I sure wish I had one like that when I was a kid! You can check out my previous film, Da New Guys: For The Winnings right here. It’s a bit of a step down from Mite! I’m afraid

I wish I could do that… Great work!

This was fun to watch, and looks very well put together… Could you share some knowledge about how you worked with lattices. I am trying to get some extra lattice deformations on top of a normal rig. (skew the head, and maybe one to cover the entire body for some ultra cartoony movements) But I’m having a lot of trouble with multiplied deformations. (basically I have a rig that controls everything perfectly, including a wide range of toonyness but if I want to do a lattice on top of that, the lattice makes the deformation unpredictable/undesirable.)

I also like the trick with the camera, and how you went about and modeled part of a city.