Should I leave the Nazi Logo on the enemy tank I made for my film if I sell the tank?

I will be selling all my 3d assets used in my cg film.

The film is related to Wolfenstein that is why some of the models used have Nazi Logo.

Should I make different a logo?

Yes, make a different logo. There are still way too many people out there who think the Nazis should have won.


If the logo is appropriate to the tank, i.e. if it represents the side that would have used that model of tank, then you should include the logo, because that’s what’s historically accurate.

But, also consider defining it as a separate texture/asset, positioned appropriately and “in addition to, instead of merged into,” textures that represent the underlying paint-job. In this way, your model becomes more useful. (For instance, if the buyer’s film calls for such a tank that was subsequently captured and re-used by the opposing forces … The buyer might like to study how you attached the German logo, before carefully doing the same thing to replace it with a Russian logo.)

When you are building a model for sale, make that model very easy to “kit-bash.” The buyer’s probably not buying it to use it as-is, but rather, “to take him 90% of the way.” Make it very easy, then, for him to “go the other 10% of the way” any way he wishes, and to remove and re-do other parts that are “not quite right (for his project).”

It is just as easy to ‘kit bash’ a made up logo as it is to do it with an emotionally charged, potentially divisive logo. Do people buy CG assets in Germany? Won’t sell many swastika decorated tank models there.

Is there some rule that CG models must be historically accurate? Who made the tank? Krups? IG Farben? Put the company logo on it if you need historical accuracy.

make both, so whoever buys it can chose.

Thanks for the tip.

Yeah you’re right. The consumer might want to put it into a different faction or tweak the tank and remove some parts like the turret where he/she might put a passenger cabin instead.

To echo several post and Just my two cents worth if I might. If it’s a realistic model by all means use whatever is in your reference pictures. My understanding is the German people are and have been dealing with that era for many years. One that is etched in history.

There seems to be many attempts to rewrite history suddenly. Whether for political reasons or otherwise. We have the controversy with the Texas school books here in America.

Not only that but I’ve been doing the Google thing for thirty minutes now and found not one WWII German tank with a swastika on it. That cross was not a Nazi symbol is my understanding. Link below looks like a reenactment by the way. I don’t see any problem here.


Yeah, a lot of German forces used the Iron Cross in WWII.

Oh, no wait, it’s called the “Balkenkreuz”, German Cross, or the Balkan Cross.

the swastika is a deviation of a pagan symbol from what I understand, silly hittler had to ruin it for everyone…

one variation means positive, one means negitive.

in another culture it means good fortune, in another protection,

CG Jung says its part of the collective unconcious

Well, no matter what you do or do not think about the Nazi swastika today, and likewise no matter what (you think that …) the German people thnk about the Nazi swastika today … German tanks of that era did carry that logo. The tanks of every combatant in that war, sported the logo of the combatant who owned it at the time. You can’t “revise” historical accuracy.

In a word: “no matter what you think (that other people (might) think) about ‘1943’ in ‘2015’,” if your objective is to depict “a weapon of war in 1943,” then that is what your model needs to contain. In fact, you should research existing historical photographs in preparing your model, and you should maybe consider offering several different “skins.” Thus, one of the “value-added features” that you are able to offer to your buyer is: your own research.

Having said all of that … It is always a good idea to structure your model in a way that facilitates revision … while also allowing the possibly less-skilled buyer to carefully study what you did.

For example, let’s say that in my movie I need to depict a German tank that had been captured by the Russians and used against the Germans at Stalingrad in the dead of winter. Not only do I need to change the logo, but I also need to re-paint the thing for “winter” camouflage. (Or maybe, “close enough for tax purposes …”) You should think about ways to make that process as easy as possible for the subsequent buyer of your model. And, you should do some research: “what did the Russians do with the German prizes that they captured?” “What did they do, with their own tanks and weapons, when deploying them in winter vs. summer?” People will gratefully pay for that kind of “due diligence.”