Should someone be allowed to own the moon?

Quote from fight club:

Narrator:

“When deep space exploration ramps up, it will be the corporations that name everything: the IBM stellar-sphere, the Microsoft galaxy, planet Starbucks.”

lol

Read “The Man Who Sold the Moon,” by Robert Heinlein. Available in his short story collection The Past Through Tomorrow

What about the man on the moon? Doesn’t he have something to say about all this?

lol reminds me of the man who sued god

Alltaken

Lol…I have no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds hillarious, lol…I wonder how much money you could get out of god???

Randomness:

A bird wont stop pecking on my window…

Experts in space law

I wonder what they do all day?
And really, why do people buy into this? Is he going to attack the person who first places a building on the moon? Is he going to attack the launching base, holding up a piece of paper and yelling “trespassers!” and then call the police on NASA? (just a guess)
This kind of thing should just be ignored.

i wonder who has the official property deeds to the statue of liberty?
maybe that can be mine.
in fact, it is mine, until someone produces documents to prove otherwise.

Mr Spoon already owns the moon.

Oh, sorry, he owns Button Moon…

Brian

I’d settle for a giant satallite that could project an image onto the moon’s surface that could be visible from Earth.
I’d make a fortune! How much do you think Nike would pay to have their logo plastered on the moon! Or any other big company :slight_smile:

I take it you don’t have a digital sarcasm detector? I thought my sarcasm came through quite nicely, and in case you couldn’t tell, I was making fun of the owning of the moon. Now, get off my property.

“Should someone be allowed to own the moon?”

Should someone be allowed to own the earth?

I’d settle for a giant satallite that could project an image onto the moon’s surface that could be visible from Earth.
I’d make a fortune! How much do you think Nike would pay to have their logo plastered on the moon! Or any other big company

You know, that’s not such a far fetched idea…

Its a brilliant idea, lol.

it would inspire me to do a suicide bombing mission using some kind of rocket pack :wink:

would be an exciting way to go (well for the first 5 mins while you get to space :stuck_out_tongue: )

just imagine a lens, or light reflector that uses the suns energy and transmitts it through a LCD type lens system (or an even lower and cheaper technology of rotating light filters of different colours)

Alltaken

Heh, I’ve thought about this, and I think it would be best (tho not probable) If people could not “own” the moon, but, by putting up structures/making mines, lay a claim to that part of the moon, until such a time as they, or people who work/live there, abandon it. I’m sure that would keep everyone happy

It is a brilliant idea!

It doesn’t require a satellite to do it either. People have bounced lasers off of the moon quite a few times (there are several reflectors on the moon left by the Apollo missions and unmanned Russian missions specifically for this purpose).

Some years ago I built a megawatt laser that should technically be able to bounce off those reflectors and be traceable on return (no, I never tried it; I don’t have a detector sensitive enough to pickup the return signal. Over that distance you have to be able to detect single photons on the return). This was a homebuilt rig (it’s amazing when you can do with a bunch of capacitors), so imagine what you can do nowadays and with commercial money.

The biggest impediment would be atmospheric turbulence, but with adaptive optics this shouldn’t be much of a problem. The real problem is one of focus; even lasers tend to spread due to imperfect surfaces in the mirrors, lenses, and glass tubes. While this is fine for short range communication keeping the beam to tolerable width over the distance (239,000 miles, 385,000km) is pretty tough. As far as power goes, that’s the easy part. Consider that the Luxor hotel in Las Vegas has a light on top that’s bright enough to read your newspaper by from orbit!

I think someone should get a consortium together and do this one. We could start by putting a big Blender logo around Tycho :slight_smile:

Ha ha…I always knew I was a genius! :smiley:
We could even donate 10% of the profits to the Blender Foundation.
Now if I look out my window tonight and see the Windows logo on the moon, I’m gonna cry.

a laser is much different from an image. it would take so much power to put an image up there that is brighter than the sun, so i guess you could only see it on the days it was not a full moon. and you couln’t use lcds, they can’t handle that heat, heck, a night-sun lamp on a helicopter can set your clothes on fire if you stand in front of it. that would be pretty much pointless.

just put them on the unlight side of the moon.

Martin

i don’t understand… the dark side can’t be seen from earth.

That’s just not true. The dark side never face the sun, but it does indeed face the earth. Otherwise, we’d only have full moon.

Martin