Should the layer buttons be numbered?

I have wondered this ever since I started learning blender. Why don’t the layer buttons have numbers listed on them (1,2,3,… or A,B,C,…)?

I for one would like to see little numbers (or letters…maybe) on them, to make it easier to organize my layers.

It’s no big deal, really. Just something minor I’ve always wondered about, and thought would be nice.

Check out this script. It should help.
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1212798
But yeah…Blender needs better layer management.

There have been a few small changes to managing layers from Apricot. I never really needed number as the layers are in groups of 5.

You can now tell what layer has objects in it and such.

Not numbers, colours.
The outline on objects should be the same colour as the layer.
Number would still be a bit confusing unless you put the number allong side the model in the view port.

Yep Colors.

there is an error in the vbullitin_textedit.js but nevermind that.

Numbers? Why? The first button is layer 1 and the first on the second block is number 6.
Pretty much as on your hands… Not to hard to remember is it?

I don’t think remembering is the issue here.
If your scene is heavy you might get lost.

unless you can’t make a link to the layer the object is in its harder to know in which layer you setup the objects.

I like the color idea. I also like the new function that shows what layers have objects on them. I also like ice cream and cats.

i’d like to have colors, numbers, sounds and animations on them.
and every once in awhile, little paperclip pops up, asking me why i’m on layer number 2, even though there are much more things happening on yellow layer.

.b

Why not have “draw names” like on the armatures. Then its an option. It could be “draw layer color” as well, and you could pick the layer color from a palet

I’d like to see an animation of that paperclip getting into a fight with the windows dog and losing…badly. That is one annoying mofo.

Really? How does that taste? :eyebrowlift: “here kitty-kitty!!!”

i’d like to have colors, numbers, sounds and animations on them.
and every once in awhile, little paperclip pops up, asking me why i’m on layer number 2, even though there are much more things happening on yellow layer.

.b

Agreed. Make it an open-gl rendered animation too, rendered with AO. So
that half the video card resources goes into rendering the paper-clip.

I also like ice cream and cats.

Hahaha, gave me a good laugh. Why not color co-ordinate? Seems like a good idea. It’s the details that transform good to great. You can quote me on that.

I think it tastes like pussy…cat, pussy cat.

Colours it should be, as long the outlines are the same colours!