"Show Framerate and Profile"

What are the meanings of the different names that appera when this option is active in the game menu ?
With my laptop, the value of “Overhead” is always very high, whereas on my desktop PC (less powerful) “Physics” is the highest . What does that mean ?

swap : 0.028 (35.320 frames per second)
Physics - collision detection and restitution [bouncing]
Logic - logicbricks and python
Network - messages and such
Scenegraph - the datastructure that contains all objects and everything
Sound - sound
Rasterizer - renderer
Services - I hadn’t noticed it before
Overhead - unknown things most likely
Outside - other applications/stuff

So my laptop, when i try a little game with almost nothing but physics, starts to do lots of “unknown things” that slow everything down ?
where could that come from (no other apps running) ?

the precision of the timer is low enough that blender would see that it takes 0.0,0.04,0.03,0.02 and whatnot for each individual thing, but it takes a total amount of time, say 0.1 for the entire frame start to finnish. The best I can guess the remaining time [0.1] is labeled overhead

“logic” also includes armature animation (“actions”)

“overhead” probably represents some specific things - but I have no idea what they’d be :slight_smile:

If the game has lots of overhead AND it runs slow on your laptop, then you should look at what’s different between your laptop and desktop. Often the biggest difference is RAM, CPU power or graphics card.

My laptop has more ram, a faster CPU and a more recent graphics card…

With my laptop, the value of “Overhead” is always very high, whereas on my desktop PC (less powerful) “Physics” is the highest . What does that mean ?

Since your laptop is faster; it’s finishing the frame very quickly and is waiting around for the next tic of the engine/physics.(overhead)
While your weaker desktop is struggling with the physics so you see a larger percentage spent on physics.

Ok thanks for the explanation !