Show materials in VSE preview?

(MODERATOR: No need to delete this, I’ll keep it, as I found the solution already)

I’ve linked a scene as a strip in my video project in Blender, and I notice the preview window will only show the 3D scene in shades of grey until I render.

This makes it impossible for me to line up sound effects with the action because my scene is a 2D scene using flat sprites, and without the materials showing, it’s just one flat grey box.

I would even appreciate wireframe outlines, at least that way I could see something moving.

I’ve attatched a minimum viable project to demonstrate the issue. 2D Anim.blend is the animated scene, and Video project.blend uses that scene as a clip, and it just shows up grey so you can’t see any movement until you render.

Linked scene demo.zip (274.7 KB)

My problem was I hadn’t set the “Shading” setting of the Preview window to “Rendered”, tucked away in the Preview window properties, never knew this was a thing I had to do to get scene strips to show up right, because so far I’ve only worked with video strips.