Shrink/Grow selection

Is there a function to shrink/grow selection?

Ie shrink would reduce the number of selected verts/edges

by one vert loop or edge loop.

grow would increase it by one loop?

ie if S is selected verts and D is deselected verts, Grow would go from

DDDDD
DDDDD
DDSDD
DDDDD
DDDDD

to

DDDDD
DSSSD
DSSSD
DSSSD
DDDDD

and Shrink would go from

SSSSS
SSSSS
SSSSS
SSSSS
SSSSS

to

DDDDD
DSSSD
DSSSD
DSSSD
DDDDD

Thanks,

Tom M.
LetterRip

I don’t think that is possible in 2.34, but I don’t know…

Yes there is a grow and shrink but unfortunatey it works differently.

DDDDDDD
DDDDDDD
DDDDDDD
DDDSDDD
DDDDDDD
DDDDDDD
DDDDDDD

ctrl-numpad-plus grows

DDDDDDD
DDDDDDD
DDDSDDD
DDSSSDD
DDDSDDD
DDDDDDD
DDDDDDD

and again

DDDDDDD
DDDSDDD
DDSSSDD
DSSSSSD
DDSSSDD
DDDSDDD
DDDDDDD

ctrl-numpad-minus shrinks.

I agree that the way you describe would be better

GreyBeard

Thanks,

that is what I needed,

Tom M.
LetterRip

I haven’t played with the new features in cvs, but probably the behavior should be different in face edit mode and in edge edit mode and in vertex edit mode

like the way wings3d does it, in face select mode adjacent faces are selected [as LetterRip wants?], edge mode is adjacent edges, and vertex mode adjacent verticies

when switching between modes however, it is weird that if any part of the mode you switch to is selected, the whole thing is

if a vert is selected, switching to edge mode will select adjacent edges [not just ones where both verts were selected], and to face mode will select adjacent faces [not just ones where all verts were selected]

however, this gives some interesting options as to how you select things [for example, if you want all verts of faces on both sides of an edge loop you select the loop, then enter face mode, then enter vertex mode]

would probably be a good feature request to make alternate mode switching options which change selections the way I described above [all verts must be selected to select the face]. I haven’t been following wings3d development for some time, so I dont’ know if similar is possible already

26/09/04 cvs still acts in a diamond shaped pattern in all modes face, edge and vertex :frowning:

GreyBeard