Sick - sculpting sketchbook

Awesome work. My favorite is the one you use for your avatar.

Thanks linuxpimp21, that’s my favourite too.

Here’s a screen shot of the latest terrain I’ve sculpted.

Makes sense that it is your favorite if it is your avatar. I was going to say the terrain on the Blendernation post for the tutorial at tutplus looked similar and then followed the link and saw your avatar. I am going to check the video out tomorrow. I’ve been watching some texturing videos for games and think your tutorial would also be helpful in that regard as I want to try th techniques out for the BGE.

I’m working on part 3 of the tutorial series, which will be about texturing (well, for me, the whole series is about texturing anyway) and I hope to be done with it by the end of the week. And, probably, it’ll be published soon after that.

Also, a couple of guys asked about the lighting in this video. So, I’ve uploaded the scene (without the multires mesh that made it be about 200Mb), if anyone’s interested you can find it in here.

I’ve changed the scene a lot since that video, and right now it evolved into the scene of my last creature sculpt. I’ll try to publish it too when I get some more free time. Perhaps in a couple of weeks.

New one, done in about an hour

Also, I’ve recorded the first 30 minutes of the process and turned it into a timelapse video, click the image to watch it.

1 Like

I really like this one too Sick. Eat3D just released a sculpting DVD last week. I thought it was well done. The instructor does not use any special sculpting tools so you can follow along in Blender as well. He even mentions Blender in the intro which I was surprised. You might want to check it out if you have the time and money - although you don’t need much help!

Thanks linuxpimp21!

And thanks for pointing me to that tutorial, there’s plenty I could learn from it, now I just need the money to pay for it. I’m really interested in watching it.

New one with 2.5

Also, you can watch a short screencast I’ve done while sculpting practically nothing.

Great work. In your experience is the sculpting in 2.5 much improved? Always love to see your sculpts and hope to see more.

that’s an incredible sculpt!
amazing how you were able to sculpt the actual strands of muscle - i’ve always wanted to have that sort of effect, but before 2.5 i always had to try doing it with painted normal maps :confused:

oh, and what strength do you usually use for the clay brush? whenever i try using it, the results look terrible with a strength beyond .2

Nice sculpts. What’s your experience with the clay tool in 2.5? For me it has a lot of problems like causing massive jagged uneven surface, sometimes working on add but not sub etc. The thing is… in the 2.49 sculptclay build 1021 it is absolutely perfect.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Sculpting in 2.5 feels great, I haven’t got time to try all the new stuff yet, but the faster and more responsive behaviour of the 3d view makes the switch worth it for me.

And, about the clay brush, I’m not sure any more about the settings for the alien, but in the new one I’ve done, it was set to .02 most of the time. High values seem to make the mesh explode. ( I think .1 is still high)

And…

new one. if you want to see the final picture follow the link:

http://thisroomthatikeep.wordpress.com/files/2010/01/wip.png

1 Like

Nice work, Sick!

I’d try a longer lens on your head… a little bit warped at the moment… is it the default 35mm? try 50-60mm!

clay is a little bugged, but as you point out, low strength settings it’s pretty nice…

Thanks, Michael :slight_smile:

Actually the camera’s set to 20mm and there’s a lens distortion node added too. I was trying to bring attention to the scars and, at the same time, hiding as much of the hair as possible. But, I guess I overdid it :smiley:

Here’s a render with 50mm (still some distortion due to the node)

New one, almost 1.2 million polys

Edit: Oops, forgot to add the links to the time lapse videos

incredible stuff man! your knowledge of the head’s anatomy is amazing

Cool!

How does it feel at that resolution now?

What the spec of your computer ? What OS ?

One Word: AWESOME!

Jeepster, well, I only do heads, it was about time they started to look a bit better :smiley:
more seriously though. Thank you, I’ve spent a lot of time on the head anatomy, and even though I still have lots of problems with most areas, some things seem to start falling in place.
But, well, there’s still the rest of the body left to study, got to start with it soon.

gianmichele, sculpting feels great, it’s smooth and fast. Sculpting the body with 6.8 million faces was a bit slower but still smooth and responsive. The preview multires option for when you’re rotating the viewport helps a lot too.

Computer and OS:

OS - Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 Ghz
GPU - Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT, 1024 Mb
RAM - 4 Gb G-Skill 1100 MHz DDR2

And, here’s a new one and a different take on the previous one.

http://thisroomthatikeep.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/goblin_17_bw_divide_c_600.png
http://thisroomthatikeep.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/render_05_noise_600.png

1 Like

that render of that last one is incredible! great work with the skin
i think the new one’s lips look a bit odd though, maybe they’re too flat and thin?

check this out http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=44352