Siggraph 2009

I was there. Missed the first part of the lecture though.

Would be nice to see the 2.5 presentation which will be held today or tomorrow :/. Why don’t have streams :D.

I guess there will be pictures up soon on bnation when the guys are back home

Anyone heard how the Blender 2.5 presentation comes along to the audience?

They liked it. Although B-mesh may not make the 2.5 release which I believe is in the fall. The room was cold! So I had trouble paying attention after awhile.

2.5 is the step in the right direction but it’s a sad feeling to know that Blender is the last 3D major app out there which has (for years) a lack of b-mesh supprt -.- #§%!$% And so does the industry know. Anyway, they are making progress…

it’s not like that I cant model or sculpt without n-gons. so I can survive a blender2.5 release without BMesh worked into it.

yeah, it keeps you more on creating a clean model… I can also model without bmesh but it’s simple outdated! Bmesh allows you to work faster… that’s it all about.

A lot of people donated money in the hopes that Bmesh would make it into 2.5. Man I still really hope it does.

We can hope, but we can’t demand.

I’m happy if BMesh would be in Blender 2.51. There’s already so much great and new stuff in 2.50 :slight_smile:

Which brings me to the question when will blender 2.5 to be released?
My bet goes for an beta this year only.

Stenosis,

In another thread (can’t recall which) someone mentioned that Ton has said in the mailing list that he is planning on setting a firm release date of October for 2.5, and he is going to call 2.5 the “first release in the 2.5 series”. In other words, whatever they have by October will get released. I think he’s announcing this at Siggraph. At least that’s my understanding of the post.

Mh that might be a good or bad decision about 2.5 release.

Why not simply calling it public beta?

But again having 2.5 out with some tools and knowing that it is just the first
installment is good as well.

Yeah exactly. Else it would almost be like KDE 4.0 over again.

Why not simply calling it public beta?

Isn’t Blender continuously in a sort of public beta?

Yeah, I don’t think it sounds like such a great idea either, but I’m still a complete Blender newb, and I’m sure that the devs know what they’re doing. Or maybe I’m just misunderstanding what exactly is being said.

BTW, here is the actual post I referred to (in the 2.5 development updates thread - I know, hard to keep up with the tidbits of info that are posted in that thread):

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1436123&highlight=october#post1436123

Hey guys, remember that it had to officially come out soon(October) because they have to make Durian with it.

yeah, this will be the breaking test for 2.5 :ba:

Don’t worry, we’ll thrash it out good and proper… :slight_smile:

I agree, calling it a public beta would make more sense.

Until we get people really using it, and thrashing the bugs/workflow-issues out, I don’t really feel like it can be considered an authentic release. I don’t intend to sound elitist, but I really do think it would make sense to put off any non-beta release until after Durian. Make us deal with all the nasties, not end users.

But, in the end, it’s up to the devs.

Yeah exactly. Else it would almost be like KDE 4.0 over again.
Ditto.

EDIT:

Also…

Hey guys, remember that it had to officially come out soon(October) because they have to make Durian with it.

We’re going to be using an in-development version anyway. So whether or not there is a release of 2.5 before Durian doesn’t actually affect us much.