Silly question about tuhopuu2 future

I’m planning to update my gfx card. I want to start playing with vertex shaders and other stuff supported in tuhopuu2 Blender.

I’m not very informed about this project.

Is it an unofficial parallel version?

Is there a possibility to see its funcionalities integrated in the official blender releases in the future?

Is it worth to start learning it?

What can I do with my current card (nVidia GeForce4 MX 440)?

Thanks,

ciacio

it is the “play” version, the experimental grounds for new features

yes, but how soon they will be in the bf-blender tree can vary a lot

yes

I believe that card can only do vertex shaders [in software?], it can’t do fragment shaders [some things can still be done using extensions and nvida-only features, like normal mapping, but some things will be more difficult without multiple passes [I don’t think tuhpuu2 will allow you to use the extensions and do multiple passes, at least without a modification of the source]]. Your graphicss card probably also doesn’t support the shadow extension used in tuhopuu2.

ok.

Any hint for a card that is cheap and supports both vertex shaders and z-buffered shadows?

Thanks in advance,

ciacio

Check out pricewatch.com for good prices on computer stuff. I have a radeon 9800se that I’m fairly happy with. You can get one for $130. It’s not quite as good as a 9800 pro, but it definately can do shaders. Doom3 looks nice and runs fast :wink: I think the 8500 and up can do vertex shaders, I’m not sure about fragment shaders, but that might start at 8500 as well. If I were you I’d look for the best I could afford. I don’t have experience with NVidia, but you need at least a geforce 3 or 4 ti, the mx series doesn’t cut it. The FX5700 looks like a good buy, but I can’t really say how good a card it is.

Well, almost any card can do z-buffer shadows. Not as many support them directly in hardware. Cards that directly support shadows have the ARB_shadow extension. Shadows can be made to work on any card with EXT_texture_env_combine and ARB_multitexture though. (Tuhopuu2 doesn’t currently support the non-ARB_shadow method, but might in the future.)

For vertex and pixel shaders, you’ll need a card with ARB_vertex_program and ARB_fragment_program, respectively.

To get a list of cards that support any particular extension, check out this page:
http://www.delphi3d.net/hardware/allexts.php