silo3d/blender comparison

im using a tutorial on a silo 3d site and it calls for the use of the RCM(refine control mesh). i just used the subdivid to get past this, but it made things harder later. is this function in blender somewhere or is it called something different?

(btw: here is the tutorial page: http://www.silo3d.com/Tutorials/User_Tutorials/tony_jung/HTML_files/tjnyc_2.htm its about 3/4 of the way down)

or if you can tell me where to go for this info, id like to know.

Use a subdivision surface modifier and a mirror modifier (first mirror, than subsurf). Will make your live easier.

dude, did you not go to the page? im already using subsurf and mirror. RCM acts like subdivide, but better. Im wondering if there is something like it in blender

I think this is Blender’s version of RCM: Next to “Subsurf” in the modifier, make sure all 3 Enable Modifier buttons are on, and also activate the little empty circle whose tooltip is “Apply modifier to editing cage during Editmode.”

Turn on Sub Surf modifier, set to Catmull clark. THEN next to the box that reads “Subsurf” in the tab, there is a blank circle that says “apply modifier to editing cage during edit mode” when you hover your mouse over it. Click on it.

ok, but it als doubles the verticies…

It will only double the number of verticies if you apply the modifier. Just keep it in the stack, but don’t apply it.

All I can see there “dude” is a subdivision surface with “cage mode” applied, if we use 2.40 terminology.

what is cage mode?
optimum

Read my first reply to this post.

I did this tutorial quite a while ago. What he is doing is applying a subsurf of level 1. Yes, you are increasing the number of verts which was the intention – having a more refined control mesh/cage. You will have to add a new subsurf modifier after applying the first. This is a pretty tricky tutorial to follow exactly in blender – some loop cuts behave differently because of the ngons so I had to do a bit of cleanup on some faces after cutting out the eyes to get the cages to match exactly. The neck was also pretty tricky - since the tutorial isn’t very clear about it (changing the direction of the face loops).

GreyBeard