Simple Asset Manager 2.8

Hey, very nice asset manger, good work man.
I bought newest version on Gumroad so perhaps one little donation for Your hard work.

I am setting up my library now. One annoying thing for me now is the way I need to save materials, models and particles.
My workflow is that I have material scene, where I make and setup materials. Then I need to make new file in my library with same name, open it as separate scene and append material from scene where I make materials.
Would be possible to add button to add new asset (material, model, particle) to my library? Addon would make hollow blend file with only one material, object or particle, based on in what category I am actually in SAM.
This would be huge boost…

Thanks for considering.

Martin

1 Like

Came to my mind that maybe easier workflow would be to have more materials in one file and Asset manager could read them all? Now it reads only the first material in .blend file list right? Would You consider to make it possible to load more materials from one file?

1 Like

I’m not sure if I’m just looking in the wrong places, but I can’t figure out how to make it work with materials. Do they need to be in a .blend file, or what? The category shows up but is empty.

Tibicen could you check and see what version of simple asset manager you have working in blender 2.8 and post a screenshot of your file structure. I cannot get the addon to append fbx or obj files nor can I get it to show thumbnails.

Tibicen I have it working now.

Im having this problem with it where when you try to render the previews it opens up a new save throwing some errors into the log while also not rendering the previews.
It also replaced my screen saver for some reason? Picture of some low poly plants and a few rocks.
Console error logs are inconsistent, Rarely see the same log twice. First few times i tried it flat out deleted its self and had to reinstall the plugin. Surprisingly no crashes however

Hi, I just purchased Simple Asset Manager and it seems process a few files and then stops after an error: RuntimeError: Error: Object ‘Cube.001’ already in collection ‘Collection’. Do you have a fix for this?

Thank you for the plugin, it is really convenient. It saved me a lot of time.
But when I press “missing preview”
Will only reopen a new blender window. Do you know how to solve it?
I use 2.82.

The add-on is in fact amazing and extremely handy.

I am having the same issue as above, though. When I try to render previews, I have all prefs saved, namely “render ALL previews” and “open file on same instance”.

I have my master library set to where I have my .obj folders…but when I try, a new Blender instance opens and does nothing, and previews remain empty boxes.

Not sure why this is happening.

This is a known error, referenced here: Simple Asset Manager 2.8

Quick fix is to replace all the back slashes with forward slashes in the Master library path you entered in preferences.

Add-on author has fixed this in subsequent releases but you’d have to buy the latest version on gum road if you want it.

This is a known error, referenced here: Simple Asset Manager 2.8

Quick fix is to replace all the back slashes with forward slashes in the Master library path you entered in preferences.

Add-on author has fixed this in subsequent releases but you’d have to buy the latest version on gum road if you want it.

Would appreciate some help on figuring out how to get cad blocks such as contained in the attached .blend file to render helpful previews. The attached png is what currently gets generated, which is not very helpful. Asset works nicely other than that! I’m using the free version from the repo by the way, so if this is a something the paid version has solved, it would be helpful to know. Car-2d_Block.004.blend (541.9 KB) Car-2d_Block.004

Hello,
Could you please add such a button to create custom Icons for a selected mesh?

class SAM_OT_SavePreview(bpy.types.Operator):
    bl_idname = "asset_manager.save_preview"
    bl_label = "Save Preview"
    bl_description = 'Save Preview'

def execute(self, context):
        selected_preview = bpy.data.window_managers["WinMan"].simple_asset_manager_prevs
        file_path = selected_preview.replace('.fbx', '.png')
        file_path = file_path.replace('.obj', '.png')
        file_path = file_path.replace('.blend', '.png')
        bpy.context.scene.render.resolution_x = 200
        bpy.context.scene.render.resolution_y = 200
        bpy.ops.render.opengl(animation=False, render_keyed_only=False, sequencer=False, write_still=False, view_context=True)
        bpy.data.images["Render Result"].save_render(file_path)

return{'FINISHED'}

The only issue is I have to reload Blender so that all icons to be reloaded. Maybe you can fix it.
Here is a test of this button:

Small update of the button above.

#  Save preview imgage of selected mesh
class SAM_OT_SavePreview(bpy.types.Operator):
    bl_idname = "asset_manager.save_preview"
    bl_label = "Save Preview"
    bl_description = 'Save Preview'

def execute(self, context):
        selected_preview = bpy.data.window_managers["WinMan"].simple_asset_manager_prevs

#  replace extension with png
        file_path = selected_preview.replace('.fbx', '.png')
        file_path = file_path.replace('.obj', '.png')
        file_path = file_path.replace('.blend', '.png')
        file_path = file_path.replace('.hdr', '.png')
        file_path = file_path.replace('.exr', '.png')

#  get original settings
        orig_ff = bpy.context.scene.render.image_settings.file_format
        orig_cm = bpy.context.scene.render.image_settings.compression
        orig_cd = bpy.context.scene.render.image_settings.color_depth
        orig_rx = bpy.context.scene.render.resolution_x
        orig_ry = bpy.context.scene.render.resolution_y

#  set settings to render preview
        bpy.context.scene.render.image_settings.file_format = 'PNG'
        bpy.context.scene.render.image_settings.compression = 80
        bpy.context.scene.render.image_settings.color_depth = '8'
        bpy.context.scene.render.resolution_x = 200
        bpy.context.scene.render.resolution_y = 200

bpy.ops.render.opengl(animation=False, render_keyed_only=False, sequencer=False, write_still=False, view_context=True)
        bpy.data.images["Render Result"].save_render(file_path)

#  set original settings back
        bpy.context.scene.render.image_settings.file_format = orig_ff
        bpy.context.scene.render.image_settings.compression = orig_cm
        bpy.context.scene.render.image_settings.color_depth = orig_cd
        bpy.context.scene.render.resolution_x = orig_rx
        bpy.context.scene.render.resolution_y = orig_ry

return{'FINISHED'}

Thanks, I just figured out how to plug the button into the addon script, but that was the first version of the script you sent. Will plug in the update. Many thanks. Next task I’m aiming at is to automate the preview capture so it can be done for the remaining 69 blend files in the folder.

1 Like