Excited to find an asset manager for 2.8. SAM seems to make it happen. But why does rendering thumbnails still not work for me? Read the earlier posts about it. Downloaded latest versions of Blender and SAM. Hitting the render button just keeps opening a new instance of Blender. Anyone?
When rendering stops, open the system console, there you should see the error in the latest paragraphs. Copy-paste it here.
Thx for replying. Don’t have a Toggle System Console in the Window Menu of Blender. I’m on a Mac.
Just downloaded the release candidate of Blender. Now is works. Thx anyway!
Category doesn’t work on Linux Mint, I had set the Category in the add-on settings, but it doesn’t work
Got the bug. Unfortunately I didn’t implement undo magic, so the “last command” window doesn’t work for those. Sorry for that.
So only toolbar and command (F3 search for “simple asset manager”).
Thank you, it works on the toolbar!
Hi there! I’m having a bit of an addon clutter and I’m trying to organize according to each workspace.
When I activate Filter Addons on the Active tools panel, SAM is not being listed. I’m not sure if this has already being reported but I’m doing it just in case.
Thank you! I use your manager very frequently and is awesome.
Happened the same to me and it was because of conflicting 3d models, either corrupted, with huge/tiny units or old fbx versions. You may find which one is causing trouble in the console.
Hi. Very nice and useful addon! Just encountered a problem when trying to add a second particle to an object. It seems he just creates a copy of the first one added. He also doesn’t add anything new to the hierarchy. (blender v2.80.74)
I found the reason why SAM wasn’t being listed when ‘Filter Addons’ is checked. All Import-export addons are ignored by this. So within bl_info I changed to “category”: “Add” instead of Import-export and it worked. Hope this is useful!
My bad. It works. I just fogot to rename the particle settings and not only the particle index.^^
Just found this amazing addon. Nice work!
PS why do you point to a personal folder in the add preferences. Why not leave it black or add a name holder. Perhaps add something “Point this folder to you library”
Im talking abou the lib_path
PS when i tried to render preview straight away i get this error
Traceback (most recent call last): File "<string>", line 1, in <module> File "/Applications/blender-2.80/Blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.80/scripts/modules/bpy/ops.py", line 201, in __call__ ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw) AttributeError: Calling operator "bpy.ops.asset_manager.render_previews" error, could not be found
This is on OSX, 2.80 (sub 74), 38d4483c6a51, 2019-07-18 14:u5272:
After restart it does work, its kind of sloppy perhaps leaving the other instance open.
Also i saw this in the console
ERROR (bke.anim_sys): /Users/gast/blender-buildbot/mac_x86_64_10_9_cmake/blender.git/source/blender/blenkernel/intern/anim_sys.c:4148 BKE_animsys_eval_driver: invalid driver - thea_EmittancePower Saved: '/Users/romboutversluijs/Library/Application Support/Thea Render/Scenes/Blender Basic scenes/Caribbean Placemodel - Outdoor Foliage Thea.png' OpenGL Render written to '/Users/romboutversluijs/Library/Application Support/Thea Render/Scenes/Blender Basic scenes/Caribbean Placemodel - Outdoor Foliage Thea.png' Info: Deleted 11 object(s) Color management: display "sRGB / BT.709" used by scene not found, setting to default ("sRGB"). Color management: scene view "sRGB EOTF" not found, setting default "Standard". Color management: sequencer colorspace "sRGB EOTF" not found, will use default instead. Saved: '/Users/romboutversluijs/Library/Application Support/Thea Render/Scenes/Blender Basic scenes/Indoor_Dark Grey Wall-floor.png' OpenGL Render written to '/Users/romboutversluijs/Library/Application Support/Thea Render/Scenes/Blender Basic scenes/Indoor_Dark Grey Wall-floor.png'
- [quote=“rombout, post:175, topic:1134084”]
PS when i tried to render preview straight away i get this error
This one is easy: you need to enable the addon and save the preferences firstly… i would add and error exception for it, with explanation in next version :P.
- As for lib_path: yeeees my sloppiness… It will target user main directory in next version. I forgot to set DEBUG to False. Now it will be automatic.
- Can you precise a little? Does the other instance is still visible when finished rendering?
Well this is weird, the addon was enabled otherwise i could not get that to show. Also 2.80 saves settings automatically now, so something is wrong here then.
When i tried rendering the previews, i got lots of error mainly missing textures. I tried the addon again, i think it did actually closed, perhaps i was look at it to soon.
PS not sure why i see the color profile error. Is yours named differently on your OS? Im using OSX and its named sRGB, not sRGB / BT.709
Color management: display "sRGB / BT.709" used by scene not found, setting to default ("sRGB"). Color management: scene view "sRGB EOTF" not found, setting default "Standard". Color management: sequencer colorspace "sRGB EOTF" not found, will use default instead.
PS perhaps add an option to turn off / on debug.
I don’t refer to color management in the addon, so it must be something else you have. Other addon, some old 2.79 settings or OSX. Not sure.
Updated to version 0.9.6
- Master/Local Library !!! Local library is blend dependent. ;
- fixed on cursor rotation placement;
- filter addon works;
- minor other fixes that were suggested or issued.
That will be the last version that will behave like that.
I’m considering having main button as link (that will link hidden asset and insert collection instance in scene). Append button will be secondary, and will remain the same. What do you think?
Yeeees! Not being able to link collections like blender natively does is the only thing keeping me from using any asset manager addon.
have no idea what the problem is
downloaded the latest sam, and the latest blender 2.80rc2
after hitting render preview in the preferences
a new blender instance is started and it just stays like this
This is terrific. So much better than others I’ve tried.
What I love:
- The structure - it reflects the folder structure you create in windows so it’s really easy to re-organise your library
- The ability to append the asset or open it’s file in a single click
- The ability to automatically generate thumbnails for assets that don’t have them.
- The material library - add or replace materials even into the right slots if your object has multiple materials
What I’d really like to see:
- Deeper Sub categories. I’m cataloging thousands of assets. I’d love to have categories within categories within categories. At the moment it only goes 2 deep - Category/Sub-category
- The ability to bring single objects into the collection you have selected in outliner. At the moment it creates a collection called assets then a sub collection with the name of your asset. Would like to be able to turn this off. Ideally, I want single objects coming in in your selected collection. An asset with multiple objects should come in to collection you have selected in outliner in its own sub-collection.
- Thumbnail window that uses more of your screen space. At the moment I’m limiting folders to 24 assets so I don’t have to scroll.
- I create all my assets without a material so I can apply it when I bring it in to my scene. This prevents duplicated materials which append always does. Would love to have more colour options when generating thumbnails if the asset has no material - perhaps using matcaps.
Sounds like I’m being critical. I’m not. This is just a wish list which would turn a fantastic tool into a perfect one. Would happily buy this on Blender Market for $30 if it did all this.
Keep up the great work.