Simple biped rig - free to use

It’s great! now I’m going to have to spend some of my weekend figuring out how to build one like it.

Thanks,
-Daniel

I was wondering what the whole hinge thing was… cool.

What is the point of the MCH bones then?

And how do you get the lines to the knee and elbow bones?

doncuan:
The MCH_Shoulder and MCH_Hip bones are to keep the arms and legs in place despite the ChildOf constraint that constraints them to the root.

If you turn off the relevant Copy Location constraints and rotate the root bone, you’ll see what they’re for.

The lines to the knees and elbows are just simple mesh objects with stretch-to constraints. I then make them unselectable from the outliner. I would really rather they be bones (since then I could put them on the IK armature layer so they only show up with the IK controls). But unfortunately you can’t make bones unselectable.

After playing with it I have to say that this is really nice “animator friendly” rig. Really pleasure to animate with it. More over bassam`s attitude to seamless IK FK switching is possible (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1173035&postcount=19).

If you would be interested I would like to know your opinion Cessen or even possible advice concerning possible IK spine rig concept test that is discussed in this thread:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131315

hey, I love the rig, it’s a simple rig that just works and that is great!

however, I’m still a bit new to the whole rigging in blender thing and was wondering if I could some tips as to how I can skin my own characters to this rig?

Yesterday I spent an hour or so going through your BBB rigging tutorial.”

Do you think I could get a link to this?

http://www.vimeo.com/1184944

It’s on the BBB/Peach DVD originally, nearing 1000 views too on vimeo alone.

Cessen - just downloaded the rig, looks quite nice. Simple as it can be without losing anything.

Hey ho… Nathan dude… nice rig… but errr… I just don’t see how your ik/fk slider actually manipulates the copy rotation constraints? I know that supposedly there’s something built in for this stuff nowadays, but I don’t see it hehe

So eh… how?

haha, hey, this is cool. i’ve already made a running animation, which came out rather realistic, if i do say so, and i do. but, how do i make the animations work with the game engine? i tried doing the “actions” thing, but it doesn’t work…

i’m guessing this is how they made games like mario 64? cause, they had separate limbs in games back then…

they still have seperate limbs in games today, as in Crysis for instance, and others, but the only one I have experience with would be Crysis

Very nice indeed. I have added your little rig to a few of the resource pages I have been setting up for new Blender users.

Learn to Animate with Blender 3d

3d Character Rigging in Blender

dreamsgate,

Why do post links that go to squidoo?

This looks like an ad to me?

Squidoo pages (or lenses as they are called) are not ads. They are one page sites that cover whatever topic the owner chooses. My lenses of course are all about blender.

I have been gathering resource information for years and I have finally found a nice and easy way for me to organize it all for new users as well as a way to further promote blender. I have just started getting them set up, so only a few blender topics are covered so far.

Ah hey I found it… it’s ipo drivers… took some searching hehe

I’ve put together a little animation to show off what the rig can do: biped_rig_example.mpg
It’s in mpeg2 format, and is a little over 9MB

That’s pretty cool. How long did it take to animate?

very nice animation!

I’m guessing it took around 40 hours. Maybe a bit less.

Cessen - if you don’t mind me asking - how do you animate such long sequences (i.e., hand key each keyframe, lots of actions joined together, one huuuuuuge action? I don’t see many repeating sections there.

Yeah I’m kinda curious about that as well… how much do you use actions and NLA, or do you generally just key everything into one action?