Simple Modeling question...

I have never modeled anything by using a picture in the background and tracing it, so I have a few questions.

1. How do you set a picture as the background?
  2. How do you go about tracing it? Do you keep extruding one vertice?

Also on a side note, its been a long time since I have used Blender, I can’t remember what you hit to split the window into multi. views. What hotkey is it?

Thanks.

1. You press (on the 3d-view header) View -> Background Image.

2. Don’t know what you mean here, really.

You press the border of it, and press Split Areas.

Ok, let me try to explain 2 better. From what I have gathered when people set the background image to the image they want to model, they do a trace of it to get the basic shape.

1. Follow the above advice.
  2. You could do one of two things- Box model or vert model. So you can start with one vertice and just keep extruding it and then go back in and fill in faces later. (That’s vert by vert modelling)

Be sure to right-click on the border to split the view.

you can also extrude by selecting a vert, then, holding down ctrl, and left clicking. you can do this with regions in the newest bf release.

you have to be in edit mode to make a node with Ctrl + Left clicking.

When you set a background image on a window, it is only visible if the window is perpendicular to one of the three axes. That is, if you use the 1, 7, or 3 numkey to set the view the background image will be visible, but it will vanish the instant you rotate the view.

The background image is set by clicking the VIEW menu at the bottom of the window and selecting Set Background Image.

I usually use three blueprints, the standard front/back, top, and side view. I find that it makes things more easy if each blueprint image is square (same number of pixels wide and high), and if each image is the same size as the others (yes, this means the front image is a tiny diagram in the center of a blank picture).

When I do a spaceship, I usually have the side view with the nose to the right and the tail to the left, and the top view with the nose to the top and the tail to the bottom.

Be sure each image is “aligned”.
[1] on the top view have the centerline of the ship on the top-bottom centerline of the page.
[2] on the side view have the centerline of the ship on the left-right centerline of the page
[3] on the front view have the ship centered on both centerlines.

I split the 3D area in Blender into three windows, usually with a half-sized window on the left and two stacked quarter-sized windows on the right. I set each to a different background image: front, top, side.

View:Set Background Image will allow you to move each image so their centerline coincides with the appropriate axis. If the images are too large or too small, you can alter it with the SizeX and SizeY controls. Be sure to use the same value in both controls.

3dGuru asked about (post right next to yours) about this blueprint setup
so read the thread if you want to know more about this

This is what my screen looks like when I’m modeling with blurprints
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69266

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/8738/blueprintsscreen2ve.jpg

What I usually do is trace the outline of the piece from one of the sides (for exemple the hood, I traced it from top view) then I align all the vertices on their corect heigh using the side and front view. it requires a lot of individual movement of vertices which is to be expected :stuck_out_tongue:

P51, please note that Slepnyrl is using a totally different method of 3 view blueprints than the method I described. Just to avoid confusion.

Hello!
please someone can help me.
i would to have a tutorial for split my blueprint in gimp.

excuse my bad english.

There is a forum for “other software” (Gimp) which would probably be a better place to ask this.