Simple object phone case but not so simple

Hello all I’m just joined this site and hope I can get some help. I want to model a simple phone case in blender. So the steps am using is start with cube size to phone take off top face but at that point it becomes non manifold. So next I cut holes in faces for cam and buttons and finnally I add thickness .3 mm. But when checking with 3d tools when I add thickness I get a lot of intersect faces.

So is there a easier way to make a phone case that I can 3 d print?

Really not one post to help disappointing …

Well it doesn’t help that your post isn’t exactly informative, can you show us images? Maybe share the .Blend file…? From reading your post I have no idea what you’re on about.

If you’re using booleons to cut details into the mesh then it’s natural that you’ll get messing geometry in places, you’ll have to either clean it up or manually model out the details. If you mean that by adding thickness with say, the Solidify Modifier and by using that you’re getting intersecting faces then that’s normal. If a corner is too tight and you add thickness to it then you can only expand it so far before it intersects. To counteract this you can either invert the Solidify side so instead of adding thickness inwards, you add thickness moving outwards. Alternatively you can extrude inwards and then manually move, delete or merge edges which are intersecting…

Regardless, if you need help with something in the modelling section it’s common practice for the poster to attach the .Blend file, it makes diagnosing the issue much easier for us.

Read the tutorial linked in my signature. It was also included in an answer in your other thread that you’ve ignored for a week, showing you don’t actually care about the answers you do get, let alone thank people for taking their time to reply.

You have to show us what you want, pal. We can’t read your mind, and even if we could we’re still too far away for something like that. We’re a very helpful community but we can’t and won’t help anyone who lacks interest for their own goals by putting un-informative question.

Include a blend. Come on don’t be a noob. And also try google.

Lack of net had me offline and unable to check replies or upload any files plus waiting for posts to be cleared and learning how to find my post also delayed any responses. I will attach a blender file after reading link directed to but really all I am asking is

If I want to model a Samsung note 4 phone case and send it to a 3d printer what is the best way to do this without falling prey to all sort of errors when you try to print it.

http://www.embodi3d.com/tutorials.html

They go into some detail on 3d printing here and on their forums.

I think all you have to worry is the dimensions and the fact that the phone case will shrink a tad bit once the printing material cools off. As far as the method goes for modeling such a phone case, I would suggest you use Boolean operations to ease the process of modeling.

In other words you’re asking “how to model for 3D printing”, or with more words “how to model a thing you can’t see for any type of 3D printer out there”. No one is going to give you an exact answer to your question.

There rarely are best ways to do anything, only requirements, limitations and options to choose from after the first two. 3D printing only takes real geometry into account so the requirements are:
(while modeling)

• knowing and understanding the forms of the actual object being modeled
  • good approximation of curved forms with enough resolution for them to print curved and being dimensionally within tolerances
  • good topology if your modeling workflow needs it, modeling for subdivision surface for example. Doesn’t matter in the final model

(final model)

• Manifold geometry, without intersecting parts if the software that slices it can’t handle intersections
  • no concave polygons to ensure triangulation happens cleanly without overlapping geometry
  • interlocking parts can interlock with tolerances
  • no steep overhangs if no support material/structure is used
  • other printer/service/material specific requirement, such as Y-up axis orientation.