Simple question about render passes

This is probably a simple question, but I’m can’t seem to find an answer that gives me an answer I understand.

I was looking at some of the finished artwork, in the galleries. Some people list render times and render passes. I think I remember seeing one that listed 300 render passes.

I’ve been looking into rendering and compositing with cycles, trying to figure out what “300 passes” means. I under stand render layers. But when someone says they had 300 passes, what exactly does that mean? Do they mean they put different objects in their image, on different layers, and did all the possible render layers for each object, so that it created 300 different passes?

I’ve been learning Blender, and started trying to learn about cycles and compositing, and seeing things like 300 passes has me confused. Just looking for some clarification.

Thank you for taking the time,
jeff

Hey Jeff… I think what they are referring to is the Cycles samples found in the Render tab. The default is 10 for preview and 10 for render… Depending on what you are rendering, you want to increase the amount of samples takes (the amount of passes it calculates the image)… After each pass the image becomes more and more clear, removing noise that comes from not shooting enough light rays through the scene.
Some techniques require more passes (which also means longer render times)… And it’s a part of the render magic to be able to find the sweet spot where you have enough passes to make a good quality image and at the same time keeping the render times to a minimum.

FYI … there are some big ambiguities with regard to terminology in Blender. Some terms are heavily over-used, and one of those terms is “pass.” (Another is “layer.”) You really must be sure that you’re using the right term and in the intended context when you go looking for documentation or forum-posts. (You might even want to edit the title of this thread … to reference the proper term in the proper way now that you know what it is, so you won’t confuse the next :spin: …)