Simple Way to Make Hills?

Hey, everyone.

I’m new to the forum, and first off would like to say hi. My name is Tyler, obviously, and I’m a Canadian male, only 13 years old who loves animating because it lets me project amazing things, and I can go wild and make up anything I want. As for everyone on the forum, I think I’m going to have a lot of fun discussing Blender and the things it can do with everyone here, and share my creations and such :slight_smile: . And second of all, I hope this is in the right section, ha.

I’m not the perfect modeler. I don’t create characters, I’m more of an animator and find characters people share on the internet and use them in my own little projects I do to amuse myself from time to time. While I know how to model some things, there’s one thing that I would have trouble with doing with the current knowledge I have. To others, a joke. To me, a ‘bump’ in the road.

I was watching a video of a game called Tribes Ascend when I got inspired by the speed and fast paced action of the game. I had an idea in my head of characters zooming around hills like in this video:

So, that brings me here. I’d like to know if there was a simple way I could create little bumps on a plane. I was thinking of taking a cube, scaling it down so it’s more like a plane, sub-dividing one of the faces and posing each of the individual faces up a little, but that would take too much time, and the bumps would look a little edgy as well. With all the people who really know what they’re doing when it comes to object modeling and character creation, I thought someone might have an idea of what to do.

Look for Ant landscape addon in User preferences Addons.
Another is, take plane Subdivide it in edit mode and look on T-panel (scroll down a bit) Subdivide Fractal. Up this value and add Subsurf modifier to plane after. Modify with Proportional on or Sculpt it.

Or, add a plane, subdivide a couple of times. Put a Displacement modifier on it with a Clouds texture as input. Additionally, you can create a vertex group to have certain verts not affected by this, for example to create a roadway, or river, or flat area to put interesting stuff on.