Simplyfying model

Hello,

I have a big problem with my model - I can’t apply a Smooth or SubSurf modifiers, because they “breake” it appart. Aparently, there are some identical verticies (in a same point), edges and faces. How I can “simplyfy” my model to remove duplicit entities and glue the rest into a solid consistent model?

Regards,

Select all (A), then W>Remove Doubles. You may want to do Control N>Recalculate Normals for some other problems that may arise.

Excellent! Works perfectly.
The model got immediately smooth (I set “smooth” previously), but not all. About one third of the model (it’s a bathroom sink) is not smooth at all and I don’t have any idea why? Am I missing something? It’s made same way as the other 2 thirds which are nice smooth…

It is hard to tell unless you post a wireframe or the blend file. One possible problem is that you have accidentally created multiple faces (2 faces where there should be 1) or there are tri’s where there should be quads. To fix the multiple face problem, in edit mode, in the ‘Mesh Tools 1’ panel, turn on ‘Draw Normals’ and inspect the area of interest. You might have to delete and recreate faces. Fixing the tri->quad problem is all about finding the tri’s and doing what you can to make them quads.

If neither helps you might want to experiment with the normal smooth script.

Hello again,
thanks for your time spent on my noobie-questions. I have years of prof. experience with engineering 3D, but this is quite different thing :-D.
The .blend file is attached - you can see straight away which faces are not smooth. It’s obvious on the first sight, as half of the basin in the sink is smooth and half rough. There are no more duplicit verticies and I visually checked duplicities of faces and it’s fixed as well (found two quad faces partially overlapping). Sadly, I have no experience to evaluate whether or not are faces in my model approprietly quads or tris. Displaying normals doesn’t help much, as their maximum size is “2” [cm], and my model is 60x45cm. Should they be pointing one way?

It’s important to me to get this right, as it’s my first un-explicit model in Blender. I can model explicit shapes in Blender easily by now :spin:.

Regards

Yes all normals should be pointing the same way. If there is any opening in your model (eg picture your in paint and you go to fill a circle with a color, an open circle will fill the entire scene a closed will only fill the ciclre), if you have an opening it may be hard to get your normals all pointing the right way. Solution? close the model temporarily and readjust your normals then delete the face that’s not supposed to be there.

There is a selection (i believe in the same area you click draw normals) that will allow you to shorten or lengthen these normal lines.

Your blend file is not attached. BlenderArtists doesn’t allow blend file attachments. I use esnips.com for my blend files, some others use polarix, there are many “free file host” services, find one, upload your blend there, and provide a link here.

Back to your problem: you may simply have not set those faces smooth. Select them, and press the set smooth button. At any rate, without something to look at, we’re all guessing. What you can do, is post a screen shot of the problem (Ctrl+F3) which, since it’s an image instead of a blend, can be attached here.

The blend file:
http://www.rcsubs.sub-club.org/Umyvadlo.blend
I don’t think that the faces are not set to be smooth. I tried to select all and make them smooth again and it smoothed the model even more (and messed up), but it had no effect on this area…

Smoothing messed up the model even more? Are you clicking on “set smooth” in the editing panels as a whole or are you clicking on “smooth” found in the mesh tools panel in the diting panels? Going from what your describing, I’d guess the later…which isn’t the tool for what you want to have happen.

I should have describe it differently - id din’t exactly messed up the model, but it rounded corners which supposed to be (quite) sharp.
Uff, yes “Set smooth” makes a difference and it works for the rough faces. Except that it shows that the model is not optimal and I will have to probably subdivide some areas, as part of the model is too smooth now while other is still a bit edgy…
Thanks a lot!

I use smooth (the one you were apparently using) to create faces where I’m told the face would be concave. Hit that smooth and now I’m able to creat a face there. That is the only reason I use smooth…not sure why others would use it. When you want to actaully smooth out the model…set smooth is what you want.

For the parts that are suppsed to be crisp…look up creasing in blender…i think the hotkeys are shift+e but I could be very wrong…I don’t usually use it I usually just add another edge loop and move it close to the edge…which gives me that sharp like corner.

I would suggest to model it completly new in blender cause the topology is very bad. Maybe the retopo function of blender is also useful (mesh edit tools).