Simulating Breathing in Graph Editor

After a couple tutorials and a visit to blenderwiki, I am still unsure of the best way to go about this. I am trying to simulate the effects of breathing with the camera, in the graph editor.

My first idea was to create one breath (in and out) on the graph and then repeat with the cycle modifier. Problem is, I wouldn’t be able to edit each breath’s length individually then, would I?

On top of that, I have a path I need to move the camera along. Since this path is on the same coordinates as the breathing, I am unsure whether I would be able to layer them properly.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

My first idea was to create one breath (in and out) on the graph and then repeat with the cycle modifier. Problem is, I wouldn’t be able to edit each breath’s length individually then, would I?

Correct, it would repeat at the same pace. Very robotic like in behaviour, and probably not what you are after. One way you might be able to do this is by using a noise modifier. This creates a random noise curve, which might be what you are after. I think this is how the sapling tree generator included with blender as an add on works. This add on generates a tree, but you also have an option to add an armature & animation to the tree. When you add this to a generated tree I thought it added noise modifiers to the armature’s bones for rotation. The end result is kind of a repetitive motion, but with some variance, like I think you are after.

[quote}On top of that, I have a path I need to move the camera along. Since this path is on the same coordinates as the breathing, I am unsure whether I would be able to layer them properly. [/QUOTE]

Dunno, if you are changing the location of the camera for the breathing motion, you might vary it’s position on the curve. You might be able to get away with just varying the rotation of the camera for breathing?? Inhale and the camera rotates up, exhale, the camera rotates down…

Try it…

Randy

Good idea, though it looks better with sideways rotation also, and I am going for the best result. Based on what you said, I will set up the path that the camera moves on, and add a noise modifier, just changing the seed until I get something that is lucky and realistic.

Still, I have noticed that along with a smaller noise curve, people with cameras tend to hold it still for a couple seconds, then jolt the camera another way. Is there a way to have noise with blank periods in between? Ex: noise for about 10 seconds, then stop, then resume. I know I could set noise to start and stop, but then I would have to make a ton of instances of noise to simulate what I want. Is there a way?

Compiled all the animations, and it looks great! For anyone who wants to know: First I parented the camera to an object simulating a head. After creating a unit of measurement and moving the head along the route, I broke it up into smaller and smaller keyframes, applying patterns of motion to each one accordingly. I then went through and added rotation to the camera to simulate where the head would be looking, and changed the sensor size for focus. Finally, in the graph editor I changed the Z position with random to simulate breathing, and Z and Y rotation random to simulate shaking.