Simulating Thermal Images

Hello Folks,

This is my first post and I hope I have it in the right section.

I’m literally just starting out with Blender, but I know that someday I’m going to do a project involving simulated thermal imaging. Unfortunately it seems nobody has ever done this before … or having done it hasn’t bothered to tell anyone else.

If someone has ANY idea at all how to do this, please let me know. I know I’ll have to work up to actually doing it, but it’d be nice to have the info handy when I do reach that point.

Thank everybody.

To every blender problem there are nomerous solutions… I can think of a way to do it using materials setup and I can think of a way using nodes. in any case it’s better for you to actually learn blender a little bit more before dealing with it. Part of what makes a good blenderhead (and part of the fun in being a blender user) is finding on youre own new and inovative ways to create what ever it is you want.

the easiest way would be to create a color ramp in the shader tab and map it to energy so everywhere the ligh shines hardest you would get a “red” colour and wherever its lowest the blue component.

you could control your “faked simulation” with a simple lamp then.

but i agree, just learn some basics and you will eventually come up with your own idea. nobody bothered telling how to do this, since its fairly easy to achieve i think.

I want to thank you both. I agree I need to learn a lot more before I actually try doing it in an image or animation, but at least I know which direction I’m working in now.

I am one of those people who sees a problem days, weeks, even years down the track and starts looking for solutions lol.

Thanks again for the info and insight.

“thermal images” - if you mean infrared images, they are based on the object heat or infrared waves emmited. Unless you can derive a map of the “hot spots” of your object you can create an infrared simulation in Blender. Otherwise it is impossible to do that with simple compositing or material settings.