Simulations

Hi all. I have been playing with blender simulations for a while, but only now have I got authorization to post them (I quit my job). So here they go. If anyone have any suggestion or doubt, I would love to hear them.

There are other older simulations in my youtube page that I already posted on this forum. Some of them explaining the problems I have with the bug of settling fluids in blender

And if you want, take a look at my reel that I am making to look for a new job. Again, any suggestions are very welcome. Here more the anything, since it is not finished yet

That is it. Thank you for your time.

Bravo on that Demo Reel. You’ve done some awesome work. As I said there, I would totally hire you.:yes:

Very nice, I like it a lot.

Richard

Thank you two.

Edited: Ah - never mind I saw you use realflow now

genscher, I saw you asked what bug. I am sending the image I sent to Nils of the bug.
I don´t know if that is a bug. It is quite undesirable and seems to be unavoiable, so I call it that way.

I do not use realflow now. I have been using realflow since before blender. Now I use both of them for what one can do, the other can not. You will see that, in my reel, about half of the simulations, if not most of them, are actually blender.

Attachments

some great liquid effects and stuff there, so much more for me to learn

The 2ed one was so realistic, I had to go get some chocolate at the store! sooooo good!

@poke
thanks, but imagine how much I still have to learn to get to do something like you did in the banner?

I would like to see people´s posts through their panels so I could know better who am I talking to. In cgtalk it is very easy. Here I never know how to do it. I just remember your avatar from the banner post

@meho
thanks a lot. good to know there is any apettite appeal there.

if anyone of you try liquid simulation and there is something I can help, I would be very happy.

I felt that there was not much of learning material when I was trying to understand fluids in blender. Even now most things I just “try and hope it works”. There are many things that I still don´t understand. If I can ease this difficult to someone, somehow, it would be like repaying the community for the goods that blender gave me.

I have done some work with the fluids in Blender but cant show them here because it was for work :frowning:

But I had the same problem and I think I solved it by changing the shape of the objects the water touches I found that if there was an overhanging ledge that the water lapped at you would get that odd pulsating ripple thingy!

When I was doing it I had a ribbed container the water would climb the side of the container and lap against the underside of the ridge, this would then cause the water to stick to the ridge at the apex of the wave and then fall back down after the wave left. this would then cause a larger wave and then you end up with the waves getting larger and larger eventually you get that odd almost ferrous liquid effect.

But it was intermittent so I don’t know if me changing things was helping or it was just having no effect.

Anyway very good use of the fluid simulator, I would be VERY proud of the chocolate biscuit piece 5 stars!

Attachments

Mchammond, I know your pain of that because of work…
But have you nothing at all that can be showed?

About the problem you had, is it like the image i posted? Was your fluid highly viscous or water like?
I believe I faced this problem you are saying, but I can´t remember very well. I remember something of the fluid climbing the obstacle and generating problems. But I think it happened only once, when I was trying to “open” a container full of fluid by sliding the floor so the fluid would fall down. But I am not sure.

The situation I show in the picture happens with viscous fluids that gets any kind of disturbance (a drop, something touching it, a movement) and then is supposed to settle, to be quiet. That creates some chain reaction that creates those strange patterns in the picture. The pictures are the settling of the fluid over time. It happens in all fluids in blender in this situation, but in much greater proportion when the fluid is viscous and slow.

But that precise picture of yours is strange to me. That behaviour. I will try simulations in those scenarios to see if I understand. In the picture I posted it is not happening like that, since the spoon is above the fluid and the fluid does not climbs the domain

Very nice work Guismo.
I see a lot of nice work come out of Brazil.
Is there a reason do you think?
More arts in the schools, something like that?

omg, guismo! You totally rocked that! If I own a vis and commercial company, I would definitely definiiiiitely hire you, man! The chocolatey fluid is just so yummy and real. Geez. If you have time though, would you mind sharing us some of your settings and screenshots of those chocolates? Thanks, man.

Congratulations! You did an awesome job! :slight_smile:

-Reyn

Very nice work Guismo.
I see a lot of nice work come out of Brazil.
Is there a reason do you think?
More arts in the schools, something like that?
well, I am very flattered that you compare me to the brazilian talents. Though I am not there yet, I had some discussions on the topics with co-workers. Brazil is indeed a fertile place with creative minds. My idea for that is that here things are harder then in europe or north america, but we still get to access the internet. It is quite hard to survive with 3d or get hired (and most important, payed for) in this country. There is much competition and the market itself is not kind at all. Many working hours, little sleep, usually little payment (if any) and much pressure.

I think that it is the law of the jungle and that is the place for the fittest to grow. You have to really love what you do to survive, and in 170 million people, many will succeed.

So, the harder the environment, the better the result. And I hope to be one of the survivors someday.

omg, guismo! You totally rocked that! If I own a vis and commercial company, I would definitely definiiiiitely hire you, man! The chocolatey fluid is just so yummy and real. Geez. If you have time though, would you mind sharing us some of your settings and screenshots of those chocolates? Thanks, man.

Congratulations! You did an awesome job! :slight_smile:

-Reyn

Thanks a lot! I will gladly share them, yes.
What is your idea? Should I create a topic with the files? create a video tutorial? I do not know. There is this thing that much of what I achieved there was not reaaaally knowing what I was doing.

Thanks a lot! I will gladly share them, yes.
What is your idea? Should I create a topic with the files? create a video tutorial? I do not know. There is this thing that much of what I achieved there was not reaaaally knowing what I was doing.

If you don’t mind, you can post some screenshots of your process with the fluids or if you can, you could post some sample .blends (just samples). Hahaha! Yeah, sometimes, playing around 'and just fiddling with settings even without knowing any idea what they do can create sudden magics! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

-Reyn

I am sending the file of the chocolate. I just saw your article about creating images with blender render and that seems to be great and exactly what I wanted to learn.

I would like to do something like that but right now I do not have the competence, time, or even knowledge enough XD

I am moving to another city, but when I get time I hope to be able to do something like your article.

Meanwhile, the file is there but it is very confusing. I hope you can understand. I used an obstacle with high impact factor in front of the emitter in order to get a smother emission. Do not ask my why I had to do this. This is one of blender fluids mysteries. Everything else I try makes the fluid all gooey. I saw simulations in youtube (that were removed, I do not know why) that doesn´t seems to suffer this problem.

Any questions, just tell me.

Attachments

teste11lento.blend (818 KB)

Oh, but there is something very important that I forgot to mention. The simulation alone is not enough. There is this bug I was talking about that will make the surface all bumpy. You can see it in the end of my youtube video with the chocolate and cream simulation.

I solved that in 3ds max using many absurd and difficult tools. It was a very painful process creating displacements from various cameras, relax, and many passes in after effects.

But maybe with your knowledge of blender you could find out how to solve this. Then you would help me a lot!

Also, the file is configured to be simulated in 64bits with 4gb of memory. If you simulate it in 32 bits, be sure to tune down the domain resolution a lot, or it will crash blender

Thanks, guismo. I’ll go check it right away after I finish up some of my personal material node tests. I do hope we can solve this problem you’ve had in Blender. Hopefully the animated displacements and some textures will help, we’ll see. I’ve had a few tests with Blender fluids before but those are absurdly nothing compared to the ones you did. If you have the time you can go check them too. Thanks so much for sharing, guismo.

Good luck on moving to another city. :slight_smile:

-Reyn

I searched and found only one simulation you did of the water falling on a cup. That was very good. I curiously never did any simulation in blender with normal water settings.

Do you have others?

Well, you know much more of blender then I do, it seems. So if you find a way to solve this fluid bumpyness in blender I would be very, very grateful! The 3dsmax/displacement/after effects solution is almost not an option. If I was to do it again, I am not even sure I would succed.

just 1 question, how did you do the chocolate sprinkles? because i never managed to do that with blender… or did you use realflow?