Site Design Ideas (progress: design#3)

My dad is making a site for someone, and he made an idea, but he’s also asking me to come up with some ideas, He requested 5 by the end of the day :expressionless: so I hope you enjoy this as much as I do :smiley:

Design #1

Design #2

Design #3

Design #2 uploaded :slight_smile:

ok… 72 views and not one single comment… has somebody cut off your fingers the minute you reach my thread or what? I guess more work doesn’t pay off now does it :expressionless: come on, at least hinting as to some of the bad points of my design would be nice!

Looks good. Both of them. I like the first one the best. I like the screw heads.

What is the larger opend area for? Especially in the 2nd one, it seems very empty. Will that be the area for the text?

The text saying (?) Moto Tek is a little hard to read in the “digital” font. If that can modified so the ‘T’ is more evident to be a ‘T’ then I think it will be much better. But that may be a logo and unchangable.

Anyways, good work. I look forward to more designs,
:smiley:

i just read this for the first time so you can’t be mad with me :wink:

as for a webpage it is very nice looking but badly laydout. the buttons are baddly postioned for easy use and everything is too oversized. I like the general concept and it jsut needs tweaking. I don’t exactly what you want from us since we aren’t exactly the ones who decide in the end and if you just want to get webpage ideas this isn’t really the place - blender doesn’t support html code and so basically you would still have to be making the buttons in a scripter and so anything you make would be a background image… hate to burst your bubble! but that is the straight facts! i hope that helps and don’t be mad with me - i ment it very nicely (i have a problem articulating well - so i am told!) :wink:

ok… all you linux lo-… users keep on using the gimp, but photoshop does a LOT more than you think :wink: I can take on single image and split it up, and voila, instant webpage… not the best way to do it, but I can if I want to… my dad does very well with it…

I was simply asking for some feedback on how cool you think my design works… I’m simply making some neat graphics for a website :slight_smile: tell me how they look!

5 huge buttons at the top… how can that be hard to use?
I realize I asked for crits, but have a little faith in me…

the blue box in both would be used to actually see the contents of the webpage…

and YES you can scroll up down sideways etc… in that box…

check this for example… I could fit this entire post in that box… and I can link images so that they would pop up in a seperate box…

the advantage to using blender for a website… you can change everything so easily! if I need more space than that little blue box… I simply change the sizes a bit, and voila! presto! magnifico :wink:

do you catch my drift? I’m not trying to go against me wanting crits, I’m just trying to help you see my side!

hey, thank you! this is intended for an airemote control aircraft guy’s website… the first one is neat I think… but it seems just a bit messy and unorderly… the open blue area, is to fit in text and links, and images… etc… I can very easily change the t (considering I made the logo in photoshop) just how to make the t fit is the problem :expressionless:

thank you very much :slight_smile: I’ll see what I can do about that logo!

Don’t worry, I haven’t stopped my designs yet, I’m working on a third…

thank you for the crits, I would love more :smiley:

the gimp can do the same

I forget where the part that would create the table is however, but I like the gillotine function [splits the image along the guides, too bad you can’t cut an H shape tho…]

honestly, I HATE websites that don’t directly present themselves as such.

well anyway, I think the amount of space you have in the box should be A LOT larger, even larger than the second one because I have a big screen and HATE websites that don’t use even half of it.

I’d say the second one is better [less wasted space], perhaps you should set it up so that the box can fill the rest of the screen

[note: you can do all of what I suggested using css, no need for flash and I get to use my scroll wheel and click on links as I am supposed to be able to]

ok… I cannot up the resolution that much, because we need to keep in mind our general audience (those with crappy computers, or just can’t read) have typically low resolutions (say 800x600)

I’ll do some scaling, and some modeling if needed to enlarge the box n’ stuff…

thanks for the crits :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention that it would be a pain in the … neck … to try and get this to stretch properly using only CSS in IE

some code, to position only a text div, which expands properly and is based on the window, works in opera and mozilla but NOT IE

for IE you’d probably have to use tables and stuff
[it wouldn’t surprize me much if you could get this to work with minimal changes in NN4.0]

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTM
  4.01 Transitional//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<title>New Page 1</title>
<style type="text/css">html, body   { background-color: #FFFFFF; background-attachment: fixed; color: #000000; 
               font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; background-image: 
               url('Sitedesign2.jpg'); background-repeat: no-repeat; margin: 
               0px; padding: 0px; background-position: left top }
#content     { position: fixed; margin: 0px; padding: 0px;
               background-color: #FFFFFF; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; 
               bottom: 0%; top: 203px; right:0%; left: 157px; 
               padding: 0px;
               margin: 35px;
               overflow:scroll 
}
</style>
</head>

<body>
hah!
<div id="content">content content content content content content content content
  content content content content content content content content content content
  content content </div>
</body>

</html>

note to self, stop using frontpage

so, this simply uses your second image as the background. I didn’t want to work to hard cutting it up as necescary to get stretching to look right.

check http://csszengarden.com/ for the power of css

cool, I knew css was the ultimate choice in formatting a page right… I didn’t know it coud look so good :slight_smile: now this I’ll have to take a peek into!!!

thanks for the link :smiley:

changed the lcd logo, and expanded the blue box, while moving and scaling some things… simple to do, but the dang thing takes an hour to render :stuck_out_tongue: I love blender :smiley: I love guitar more, but I still love blender

you missed my post completely and honestly for someone who wanted c&c it sounds more like you just wanted praise or perhaps if not that you just want to know which is best not know how to improve it. %|

anyway, the buttons are still to big although the third images is the end all so far. I still hate don’t like it though seeing it isn’t very clean. and as far as the general audience your general audience runs higher than 800x600 res and so you should up the size of it and like i have already said you should make those buttons smaller which will give you more space. i’ll wait to see the others… :wink:

it’s not that I’m only asking for praise… sometimes I just completely dissagree with what someone says…

Edit: I was more or less asking for constructive criticism, not for someone to tell me that I can’t do what I was doing, and that everything was a mess… it’s very vague… you named some good points, but annoyed me when you thought I was computer illiterate- I hate when people think that!

anyways, no offense intended :stuck_out_tongue: just help me out here! don’t bash me!

• and pretty much every computer that I’ve ever seen is running old software on a small screen :expressionless: most people suck… the general audience you’re thinking of are big time gamers with lots of money… think of us little people who work hard all day and spend money on other things :stuck_out_tongue:

don’t get me wrong, I run 1280x1024… but I just try to think of others…

To tell you the truth, I don’t really like this as a site design.
There’s far too much graphics going on there and not nearly enough room for actual content.
Whether the box scrolls or not the web surfer is only seeing a relatively small amount of content at a time.

However, that being said, I think this layout is rather good for a snazzy presentation and I have to say that I really like the GUI purely for GUI-sake. Quite a few very nifty components - competing for space a little, but still looking good anyway.

My favourite is the second one and this is the only one that looks like the component parts sort of fit together on the same screen.

And I got to use ‘snazzy’ AND ‘nifty’ in one post. :smiley:

I personally use Paintshop Pro. It also has a lot of great functionality for making graphics into web pages.

Tell us which design your father digs the most.

Oh my god - I said ‘digs’ as well. %|

lol caleb :slight_smile:

thanks for the “constructive” criticism :slight_smile:

anyway, I guess I’ll mix match size and twist the buttons a little more…

glad you like :smiley:

redid #2 again, and I did #3 too… more simple, more like my dad’s design…

You know one of the things that worries me about this design is that it might not be the most ideal for people with begger screens and higher screen resolutions.

I can understand the value of going for the lowest common denominator when it comes to website design, but a good design is quite often one that can resize depending on screen resolution.

Having said that I might be over-reacting a little in this case. I guess I would actually need to see what this looks like as a web page.

The last design is better for web design. However, I’m still leaning towards the “too much graphics” comment. I think the title and logo could be a little smaller and so could the navigation bar.

The other thing about the title page is the title itself. I personally preferred the digital display as this title just looks ----- ummm ------ not right, too grey, not centered, too simple, lacking oomph. I don’t know - can’t put my finger on it.

Anyway - enough of my tedious opinions - I didn’t even manage to put any fun and notable words in this time.

Regards
Caleb

this design could be adaptable if you knew what you were doing… then again you might have known that Caleb72 :expressionless: