🚀 Site speed check - feedback please!

Uploading is not affected by the CDN, but it’s very possible that some recent Discourse updates helped with this :+1:

Finaly I can open BA without a vpn! what ever you guys did just keep it! :smiley:
opening notifications has become much much faster also.

2 Likes

Interesting… What kind of issues did you experience before?

BA would load into a gray screen or not load at all. I had to use a vpn. It’s not a BA issue it’s my country blocking things left and right!

2 Likes

Opened some old threads. Seems to be loading faster. Wasn’t necessarily slow for me before but the images seemed to load a lot faster on my old threads.

1 Like

I can imagine the number of people who have download bandwidth capable of saturating even a small percentage of your server’s upload is pretty low, and these are the only people who will notice a speed boost. My guess is that even on the old server most people are download bandwidth limited, meaning a faster/closer server might not have much effect.

Was the move to a CDN motivated by saturating the upload/CPU capacity of the old file server?

No, not at all. We already have CloudFlare in front of our site, but on BlenderNation I experienced far better results with another CDN.

Interesting. :thinking:

Yes it is, on my Laptop. The galleries are loading faster than before.

1 Like

Today I noticed that (new) images load remarkably slow. I’m on glass fiber, but I have to wait seconds for one image to load. Could this be related to the CDN experiment?

I noticed it in this topic, and it could also be due to the relatively large amount of images?

Yeah I noticed it on that topic too. I think it’s a combination of the number of images, their filesize (some are huge) and 2 large mp4 video’s.

1 Like

Oh yeah. I uploaded 4k jpegs this time. Each file is about 6mb. One mp4 is 6mb and other is 26mb. Polycount limits the video file sizes up to 5mb. There might be that kind of limitation on blenderartist too.

1 Like

We limit uploads to 5MB each, but if you upload multiple files it adds up :slight_smile: