Size of a texturemap & OSA ruins texture ...

Right now if I put a texture map on an object… I just make a texturemap and I make sure that it’s much bigger than the object… This works ok since then it will be scaled down…

What I am wondering though is … how can I determine from the object point of view, how big I should make a texture…

Also … if I get my texture map in the right position it will look good in the render… but onlyu without OSA…

If I turn OSA on … the texure map is blurred out all the way like it has been motion blurred… anyone know a solution for this ?

md01

you mean an image texture?

if you want it to be pixelated, turn off interpolation

if you want it to not be reduced in resolution when viewed from far away turn off mipmapping

How about showing us a picture of what your talking about?

There is no need for a picture… one takes just an object… let’s say a cylinder… When I put a texture map on it I want to avoid resizing as much as possible…

How can I determin the ‘size’ of an object as opposed to the size of the texture map that I want to make…

md01
b.t.w. I wrote the explanation on how to do the water in the stonehenge scene in the thread…

the texture space of any object is calculated using it’s bounding box. so, if you don’t use UV mapping, the picture will be streched to fit the bounds of your object. the question that arises is - will you have close-ups of your textured object or not? if yes, go for higher-res. this is just a matter of trial and error.

How can you say a texture map is bigger than the object? There are no units of scale in Blender. A blender mesh is vector based (you can zoom in as far as you want without image degradation), whereas an image map is pixel based (and therefore loses quality when zoomed in). So, if the ‘size’ of your object when rendered = the size of the texture map, then it won’t be sized, but that rarely happens.

As for the image being blurred, try turning down the “filter” slider all the way in the texture buttons for your image map. And yes, you can try turning off mipmapping.

md01

If i remember correctly there is a explanation about
how big to make a texture on a moderators web site from CG Talk.
I’ll try and find it.

Check out…
Texturing For Dummies Part 1 (Introduction to Texturing) by Leigh
— A Note On Making Your Own Texture Maps

:slight_smile:

Thanks guys … all of your replies are appreciated…
Jeff… was the explanation about the water clear ?

md01