Hi fellows,

I was wondering if a Skecthup (free) + Blender solid workflow
for architectural visualization was possible and got some little
doubts in my way.

#1 - I´m a little bit concerned about the way Blender imports
collada files, when talking about verts, polygons, etc. Faces
comes all messed up, but is only visible in edit mode.Should
I really be or theres is no reason for that? I thought that it can
be an issue when you need a low-time render.

#2 - I notice that measures seems to be a big problem for B.
to import. Tiny (non real scaled) Sketchup models comes huge
into Blender. How to solve that, since I want to take advantage
of Sketchup precision tools?

#3 - There´s a “little trick” possible. If you model cutting edges
along all verts, like in Blender. But it seems to loose its sense,
if guess it would be better to use B. directly if you had to do that.

I´m really sorry if I wasn´t clear, but my English is not that bad
(lol). Thanks a lot buddies.

Hi Brazucka

When importing from SU I tend to use either Google Earth kmz via JMS’s python script or export .obj or .3ds from SU (but not available in free version). I’ve never had much success with collada plugins and stick with what I’ve found to work. Collada import/export work continues I believe so maybe things have improved.

You will have triangulated mesh imports and a fair number of messed up faces and messed up normals, again .obj and .3ds have always for me worked better with normals and integrity of model.

When you import from SU or AutoCAD you need to have metre units and consider 1 blender unit to equal 1m, not cms or mm’s. Also get your model as close to the 0,0,0 as you can because that can create problems in blender with response times to panning and the annoying camera clipping. (Which I really wish could be dumped.)

I find with AutoCAD imports and possibly SU as well that to get correctly reading dimensions of edges in blender you need to do the ‘Apply Scale rotation to ObData’ this then confirms your model dimensions as success of import.

Cutting edges would I guess be the knife tool. Check out this for more:

http://yorik.orgfree.com/tutorials/precisionmodelling-blender.html

Yorik mentions the knife tool about half way through the tutorial.

There’s a lot of great info on Yoriks site and Allan Brito’s very informative site:

Good luck.

Brazucka, I usually perform a “remove doubles” (under W-key menu) and a recalc normals outside" (Ctrl-N) on any imports. There are functions in blender to convert tris to quads (look under the spacebar menu -> Edit -> Faces -> while in edit mode (Tab-key toggles)) though this isn’t always necessary unless you’re planning on deforming/subdiv’ing your mesh or using UV maps (or etc.) where quads are better.

Brazucka, note that each viewport in blender also has clipping settings that will hinder the view of large-scaled imported geometry. Go to the “view properties” to tweak these.

(Ctrl-A menu, also should help with “perpendicularizing” your face normals, which can sometimes get confoozled.)

Cheers!

(So, you joined back in '06, but haven’t posted 'til now? …or am I reading that wrong?:confused:)

Finding this useful too.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=153642

As it is suggested as non destructive, appears so so far.