SketchUp Importer v0.23 released

Thank you for this profer.

But honestly, I haven’t worked on Mac before so I will have to gather some info and do a little research before proceeding with the build and compiling process on a remote machine and an obscure OS.

I will let you know soon when I will be able to commit to that. And I also like you to know that the entire process might take a few minutes to a few hours, depending upon the rigidity of the initial setup and dependencies (and I anticipate, there could be some build failures before getting it rightly done). I hope that’s okay with you.

2 Likes

How to use this add-on? Not able to figure it out. How to add this extension to blender?

Download the zip file from the link in the very first post, and install it like any other add-on inside Blender.

Here is one YT video (https://youtu.be/OjEQ4mU_L84) that someone else made, which I get to see it the other day. Have a look, it might be helpful to you.

1 Like

@zohozer Okay, I have gathered some info for the build/compile process on macOS. I can give it a try over this weekend, let’s decide on the time.

I noticed that this also creates a new option in Blender’s export window (Export Sketchup Scene (.skp))

It currently does nothing, but does this mean there’s a chance in the future we’ll be able to export .skp files? Because if that’s so, I’m gonna get up and do a little happy dance.

I am afraid to say, a proper Exporter from Blender to SketchUp may not be available anytime soon. It’s a huge undertaking. And/or unless someone else has enough free time to write that part of the module.

PS: It was kept as a placeholder by the original author, Martijn Berger. If you have used any of the previous versions, it seems this Export option was always there but it did nothing (because the class function of the export module is empty, nothing to operate on). I think, when Martijn was writing this Importer, the project was funded by a company and they didn’t need the Export option as per their needs.

Thanx allot Works well.

I noticed that not all models wil import, Im guessing this has to do with SU model version. Will test later.
Also depending on the model, not all materials show, they are grouped or something. Guess this has to do with how the modeler added materials in SU. Wil also check later.

Again Thanx allot man!!

thanks a lot, works great.

Thank you for the answer! Either way, it’s still incredibly useful as it is. BTW, the imported Sketchup scenes perfectly match the Blender cameras in position and field of view, but are always off when it comes to size (both in this version of the addon, and in the original one). I always have to adjust them either up or down in size (mm). Do you know why that is?
Also, do you think it is feasible in the future that Sketchup layers (now called “tags”) could be imported as separate collections in Blender?

I haven’t come across the first issue you have stated, regarding that not all objects being imported. I would suggest that you report your bug over here. Make sure, your bug can be reproduced.

Go through a few of the guidelines “on how to file a bug” on the wiki; and always make use of this issue template, which has been provided.

About your second issue, is it similar to this particular open bug? If yes, it’s the case of a missing UV (which happens on a few random objects). I am still investigating on this.

Cool! Wil do.

I meant that apparently models from newer SketchUp versions won’t import in its entirety.

I haven’t spent much time on SketchUp, it has been like around only 2-3 months now. So, don’t take my
answer as who is an expert on the subject-matter.

Now coming to your question, the Field of View (FOV) in SketchUp is probably based only on one parameter (not very sure though, have to study their documentation more on that). Whereas in Blender it’s being calculated on both the Horizontal FOV or Vertical FOV.

Also, the FOV angle in SketchUp goes from 1° to 120°, in Blender it has a range between 0.367° and 172.847° (in floats). In Blender, you can set this FOV in mm as well as one would find in actual camera lenses.

It’s obvious now, that a 50° FoV in SketchUp ≠ 50° FOV in Blender, but also the current calibration in the importer is not very accurate (it’s so hard-coded that at some extreme FOV angle in SKP converts to a negative FOV angle in Blender, which is impractical). Probably, it has linear conversion algo attached to it. I will have plot a few graphs to check if this can be achieved through a polynomial regression.

Yes, this is possible.

I can bring the nested Group hierarchies along with this Layer/Tags thing (for the main purpose of toggling visibility, I guess) in SketchUp to a more functional Collection system in Blender. I would have to design the data structure to make it more flexible at first.

But, I will keep that for later To-Do.

1 Like

Thank you so very much for your response, Arindam! The fact that the layers/collections is even on your to-do list, no matter how low, is very exciting to me.

I might be mixing up my terms, as the ones Sketchup uses are somewhat non-standard across other modeling programs, but the FOV of the Sketchup scenes and the Blender cameras has always matched perfectly, both in the original addon and in your updated one. Here’s what I mean by FOV in Sketchup.

The problem is the size of the exported images. Here’s an example. The area highlighted in green shows how much smaller the Blender render came out compared to the exported Sketchup image, even though they were exported at the same resolution. And sometimes, the Blender render is bigger than the Sketchup image (it appears random to me, but there’s probably some underlying reason). I fix this by adjusting the size of the camera in Blender, but since I have to do this for 20-30 images at a time (I make background renderings for a client who is a comic book illustrator, and I have to match up the Sketchup linework with the Blender renderings), it starts to get frustrating.

Anyway, I hope I haven’t gone too off topic in your thread. Once again, thank you so very much for your work! Even if you don’t do any more changes to the addon, you’ve still made my life easier with not having to deal with older versions of Blender.

Hi, I’m having difficulties importing a skp file. This is shown in console:

SKP | Importing: G:\todosa4.skp
SKP | Skipping Layers ...
SKP | Parsed in 1.1613 sec.
imb_load_photoshop: The embed colorspace ("") not supported in existent OCIO configuration file. Fallback to system default colorspace ("sRGB").
SKP | Materials imported in 3.7165 sec.
SKP | Component depths analyzed in 0.1030 sec.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\rx\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\SketchUp_Importer\__init__.py", line 868, in execute
    context, **keywords)
  File "C:\Users\rx\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\SketchUp_Importer\__init__.py", line 184, in load
    self.write_duplicateable_groups()
  File "C:\Users\rx\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\SketchUp_Importer\__init__.py", line 237, in write_duplicateable_groups
    group = bpy.data.groups.new(name=gname)
AttributeError: 'BlendData' object has no attribute 'groups'

I tried saving sketchup with version 4 as well as 2019 version, but have same result. Any hints on how to correct this?

I guess I have already resolved this but it has not been committed to the GitHub repo yet.
Also can you please report this issue with your .skp file that I can reproduce and fix it properly?

2 Likes

Thanks @Arindam This one is happening in a commercial file, but I can share you in private with one building (not sure in what scenes it does happen and which ones don’t). Just let me know how can I send to you privately if possible.

On reporting, do you mean in github?

Okay, I have committed and pushed my changes to GitHub repo a moment ago.
However, my changes will be remaining in the develop branch as of now, it will be merged into the master branch when making a proper release for Blender 2.83 (official release).

If you would like to test out these recent changes (without a new compiled/build release) right now, download this raw file from here and replace it with the existing __init__.py within your addons\SketchUp_Importer directory.

As for reporting the issue on GitHub. Yes, sure. It will help us with the later references. You can skip the part where you may have to attach your SketchUp file.

1 Like

A new version of the Importer has been released. Get the link of the latest one from the opening post.

3 Likes

@Arindam, I opened new issue:

Okay, noted.

And I see, this is very similar to a sub-issue that has been reported recently. Link

I didn’t get enough time last week to work on this issue particularly as I was totally engaged in other things.

However, if you increase the threshold of “Instantiate When Similar Objects Are Over” to 1 million (which is 50 by default), you might able to import your SketchUp file.

2 Likes