SketchUp Importer v0.23 released

Ok @Arindam. I will take a look onto it.

Hey Arindam,

Any update on the Mac version? Can’t wait for a better way to import my Sketchup models into Blender.

1 Like

Hi Arindam,

Thank you for your addon.

Can you please also develop Exporting .skp files directly from Blender to Skecthup? (SKP Importer & Exporter)

2 Likes

That’s mine :grinning: Thanks a million for You & Martijnberger, this is great addon, it helps people a lot!

This Addon is incredible!

Thank you so much! <3

Please, need help! What’s wrong?

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\HsG\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\SketchUp_Importer\__init__.py", line 868, in execute
    context, **keywords)
  File "C:\Users\HsG\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\SketchUp_Importer\__init__.py", line 184, in load
    self.write_duplicateable_groups()
  File "C:\Users\HsG\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\SketchUp_Importer\__init__.py", line 237, in write_duplicateable_groups
    group = bpy.data.groups.new(name=gname)
AttributeError: 'BlendData' object has no attribute 'groups'

when will the addon update for 2.9+ version

You can use the current version of the addon with 2.9.

1 Like

why a cube comes with the tri mesh, y its not in clean (quad) seen similar in sketchup

This plugin does not preserve quad geometry from Sketchup. If you want, you can use the plugin Bmesh to clean up the import.

Alternatively, if you want to import models with preserved quads from Sketchup, you can use the Quad Tools OBJ exporter plugin for Sketchup.

1 Like

Sketchup works with triangles not quads… u always need to remesh it.

True, but there’s a Sketchup plugin for working with quads and using that plugin’s OBJ exporter you can export quad geometry and import it into Blender without the need of remeshing.

thnak you so much for this addon!

I tried few models non are imported (sketchUp 2020)

cekuhnen, you have to save SKP file in older version, like 2017. 2020 is not yet supported. I’m not sure what is the latest supported version. But you can even save it to v8. Some folks said that the oldest versions mitigate risk of mesh/texture errors when imported to Blender.

Ah I thought this was a thing of the past

2 Likes

I really appreciate the time and effort that goes into making these workflow addons. But when a workflow addon is unpredictable it is double annoying and stressful during deadlines.

By the sounds of it, creating a 1 button importer is extremely difficult when dealing with Skp models (Arindam explains in this thread).. Other addons ask for the model to be saved as Collada DAE.

Would it be best if every user exports to the same version? Eg Skp 2008 or 2013? Bug fixing would be clear.
If that’s not possible a clear guideline on the limitations and what needs to be done to the model before it is saved as a skp file (Mesh, grouping, texture cleanup).

It is a thing of the past, at least in my case. I use Sketchup 2020, and save the files as 2020, and they import perfectly in Blender with the latest version of the addon. You must be having some other issue.

Sometimes, however, when I have a very complex scene the model doesn’t import, and I have to go hunting for the culprit inside Sketchup - it’s usually a particular texture or component that causes the whole model not to import into Blender. Once that texture/component is removed (or even just exploded), the model imports fine.

2 Likes

what could we mac users do to help you with that?

I AM HAVING THIS ERROR IN BLENDER 2.83 PLEASE HELP

traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Faizan\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\SketchUp_Importer_init_.py”, line 886, in execute
context, **keywords)
File “C:\Users\Faizan\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\SketchUp_Importer_init_.py”, line 185, in load
self.write_duplicateable_groups()
File “C:\Users\Faizan\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\SketchUp_Importer_init_.py”, line 245, in write_duplicateable_groups
group=group)
File “C:\Users\Faizan\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\SketchUp_Importer_init_.py”, line 614, in conponent_def_as_group
ob.layers = 18 * [False] + [True] + [False]
AttributeError: ‘Object’ object has no attribute ‘layers’