Press ‘Endpoint U and V’

%<

I did on the nurbs curves before skinning

but it seems that you can so that even after the skinning in edit mode

Tanks

the back is now fill with vertex and same size in edit or object mode
now if I want to put a new edge on top it’s refusing to do so

i tried doing an extrude ok

but still refuse to fill the back with faces ?

do yo know why ?

do yo know why ?

No, it’s extremely difficult following your cryptic (short) sentences and having to guess the 88% you don’t say. The sailboat tut uses SURFACE NURBS, I’m sure, yet you say:

i did a sail boat like in the book with nurbs curves

That means that everyone on this end is playing a guessing game.

%<

i was experimentating and forgot to wait long enough!

OK i found the problem anyway

you do these U V on the first Nurb and it should do the job OK
after that.

Salut

I have been trying to follow the same tute. The manual is dated September 22, 2003 and quoted below in the hope that somebody might recognize it:

Skinning is the fine art of defining a surface by means of two or more profiles. In
Blender you do so by preparing as many Curves of the the desired shape and then
converting them to a single NURBS surface.
As an example we will create a sailing boat. The first thing to do, in side view (NUM3)
is to add a Surface Curve. Beware, add a Surface curve and not a curve of Bézier or
NURBS flavour, or the trick won’t work (Figure 7-33).
Chapter 7. Curves and Surfaces
Figure 7-33. A Surface curve for skinning.
Give the curve the shape of the middle cross section of the ship, by adding vertices as
needed with the Split button and, possibly, by setting the NURBS to ’Endpoint’ both
on ’U’ and ’V’ (Figure 7-34).
Figure 7-34. Profile of the ship.
Now duplicate (SHIFT-D) as many times as needed, to the left and to the right, the
curve (Figure 7-35). Adjust the curves accordingly to the section of the ship at different
points along its length. Having blueprints helps a lot. You can load a blueprint on
the background as we did for the logo design in this same chapter to prepare all the
cross section profiles (Figure 7-36).
Note that the surface which will be obtained will go smoothly from one profile to the
next. To have abrupt changes it is then necessary to place profiles quite close one to
the other, as it is the case for the selected profile in Figure 7-36.
Chapter 7. Curves and Surfaces
Figure 7-35. Multiple profiles along ship’s axis.
Figure 7-36. Multiple profiles of the correct shapes.
Now select all curves (with AKEY or BKEY) and join them together (by CTRL-J and
by answering positively to the question ’Join selected NURBS?’). This will lead to the
configuration of Figure 7-37
Figure 7-37. Joined profile.
Now switch to EditMode (TAB) and select all control points with AKEY; then press
FKEY. The profiles will be ’skinned’ and converted to a surface (Figure 7-38). Note
that, as it is evident from the first and last profiles in this example, that the crosssections
need not to be coplanar.

I seem to have a similar problem -
when I press Fkey at the final stage, the link is only made between two of the knots (is that the right term?) from the last, to next-to-last curves. The result is just one linked curve and a group of separate curves, and no surfaces.

Can anybody recommend a better tute?

The tute works fine as long as you remember to add->surface->nurbs curve. Don’t use just an “Add->Curve->Nurbs Curve” - which will not work. You must use the surface nurb curves.

Thanx NT. Will give it a try in the AM. If not, at least I know who to ask :smiley: