skinning tips and feature request

Hi ,

I just want to share some tips for skinning a character and also ask for feature request for a better way to make skinning .

Every time a model a character , i use the mirror modifier .

http://www.slibe.com/imagestumb/0768ba19-Sliber.jpg<-- character with mirror modifier and an half armature (.

And in the same time i do the armature too , just to see how the mesh joints bend with the armature .
No problem until now …

Then , when all is done , or when i want to test how the character look like in his entire , here comes the big problem …

If i apply the mirror modifier , all the vertex group created by weight painting are deleted (but in fact , even if it have worked , their will be 1 vertex group for right and left arm for exemple… not great , and weird).

Tips : Someone tell me that i can duplicate the mesh in object mode , and rename all the vertex group (flip the .R and .L in the name) for this object , and join it with other side …(remove double , duplicate arms and legs bones , flip side and flip bones name ).
And this work really well , i don’t have to re-do the weight paint for the other side .

little feature request :

But i don’t like to do the same thing again and again and …, and it would be cool if there was a button or shortkey for flipping the name of the vertex group in an object (ie leg.R to leg.L).
Does that exist ?
I know that this is possible for armature by pressing “w” with one or several bones selected …

Big feature request :

A mirror all modifier would be super great .
Imagine , the mirror modifier would work like the current one , but when you hit apply , the mesh and the vertex groups names would be flipped ; the armature bones and bones names would also be flipped …

Please someone , tell me that this is possible …
In a python script or best …integrated in blender …

See you .

Peace .

little feature request :

But i don’t like to do the same thing again and again and …, and it would be cool if there was a button or shortkey for flipping the name of the vertex group in an object (ie leg.R to leg.L).
Does that exist ?
I know that this is possible for armature by pressing “w” with one or several bones selected …

I don’t think so… but it shouldn’t be too hard to code. I’ll see what I can do about this :wink:

Aligorith

kaeru:
I’ve submitted a patch to the patch tracker (patch #5052). It works, but you need to be able to compile blender to use this addition.

I should warn you though, that this is just a quick+easy hack that has a very slim chance of getting into blender-cvs, as it doesn’t really solve the underlying problem -> mirror modifer not doing this itself.

Link to patch:
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=5052&group_id=9&atid=127

Aligorith

Thanks aligorith ,

I’ve just done my first compilation , but i haven’t found how to include a patch .
Can you explain briefly how to do that ?
Or if you have a link which explain this , it would be great .

Thanks again .

Edit : found this : http://www.blender.org/cms/Using_Patches.142.0.html

But it’s not very clear for someone like me which have made his first compile today . :o

Forgot to say that i’m on windows XP .

Peace :slight_smile: .