Skinning-weight paint using vertex groups

Hi, does anyone know of a well-explained tutorial on how to do weightpaint using vertex groups? I have a character that will have to be done that way. Or can anyone explain it how to do it please? I am rather confused after watching quite a few video tuts and reading things online.

Thank you!

You say you’ve already watched some weightpaint videos online? which ones?
Weight painting is kind of a big subject…

But to start with if you will always use the Ctrl+P method… you will save some time with doing it…

Select your mesh… select your Armature… Hit Ctrl+P (to Parent the Mesh to the Armature) (but really your adding an Armature modifier to the mesh…) and you will get a popup menu with a hand full of options… if you pick “Empty Groups” or “With Automajic Weights” then Blender will make a vertex Groups for you each with the same name that Bone is associated with… If you choose ‘Empty Groups’ you will have to weight paint all those the vertices to each group… If you use “Automajic Weights” then Blender tries to do it’s best to weight paint for you… (which it is never 100% perfect) so you still end up having to weight paint a little bit…

Another tip … while you are weight painting… always have your Armature set to be in pose mode… and have your Mesh setup to jump back and forth from Edit mode / weight paint mode… (or that’s what works best for me when I"m doing it)

“‘Empty Groups’ you will have to weight paint all those the vertices to each group.”

How do you do this?

Thank you for the reply!

go here to learn about this…

Google is always your freind and when it comes to Blender tutorials… so is YouTube…

Thank you, I will try to work through those I think its something wrong with my file since it doesn’t seem to want to assign right, but I will figure it out!