Skull

I have spent time over the the last couple of days working on a model of a skull but am sort of at an impasse right now about how best to procede.

Does anybody have any suggestions to improve this (other than starting again - one of my tutors was very fond of the phrase “cut your losses…”)

At the very least I have to do something about the zygomatic arch, orbits and the nasal septum.

Attachments

Please read my sig… :smiley:

Thank you Soter. Can I do anything the right way? I joined the forum because I thought I might get some help (or at least support here).

So long folks.

Attachments

If you look at the nose area and the top of the head, you’ll notice that you have a lot of rows of vertices extremely close together. It’s normally best to keep a more even spacing of vertices to get a nice flow to your mesh, so I would recommending cleaning that area of the mesh by removing several rows of the unneeded vertices. (Unneeded meaning the vertices that don’t add much to the shape of the skull.) Also, if you aren’t currently using subsurf, I’d turn that on and see if that helps. Keep it up.:slight_smile:

DwarvenFury

Ok, first of all: you can do things right! You just need to learn how to do things right. :smiley: You’re already headed in the right direction by choosing to use Blender. :smiley: Ok, enough of that. I certainly hope you do find support and help here, that’s what this community is all about.
If I haven’t said this already, welcome! Now for your model:

First, don’t be discouraged. Organic shapes are really hard to model. Learning to do 3d modelling with organics is pretty difficult (I should know, I’m still learning about it). Please don’t take this personally, but what you have there is not really very far along in topology or detail, so I suggest that you start over. Here’s why:
All those lines and vertices connected together create what are called “edge-loops”. Edge-loops determine the overall flow and shape of your model. If the edge loops are not set up properly it becomes very difficult, and in some cases impossible, to form the model with naturally flowing shapes. This is especially true with organic (basically anything that is supposed to have curves and/or be soft) modelling.
I still use This Tutorial as a reference for creating edge-loops. It will explain edge-loops to you and help you get a decent mesh started for your skull. As you go through it, keep in mind the concepts of what is being said because good edge-loops are critical for every part of any model.

Also, if you are not aware, there is a Blender Manual here.
And if you would like some tutorials to gain a better understanding of 3d modelling and Blender check
this out.

I really hope this helps. I really like your first attempt at the skull there. It does look like you have spent some time at it, which says to me that you’re going to do really well once you have a better understanding of how to form your model. Happy Blendering!

[EDIT]
I almost forgot a very important point! Using references! If you can find (or create) good references image (drawings, photos, etc.) of your object You will be able to model much faster and more accurately. The most ideal reference would be a view of the object to be modelled at 90 degress to tthe object front, side, back, top, bottom… as many as you can find the better. Personally, for modelled a person, I use front and side for the head and body and one top view reference for the arms.