skyboat ballooning (second anim page 3)

there is a way to get rid of them completly … but not in blender (i wont tell if you dont) render bigger than you need then use a desent paint program i.e the gimp to scale it down to the size you want. annoying but i dont think this problem will be sorted to soon in blender.

Yeah I know, but that’s going to double my render time… which I don’t want when animating really.

Looks great.

I don’t think you’ll be able to get rid of
the jaggies because your camera
is far away and the ropes are 1 -2 pixels.

Please render a bigger image like 1280x960

640x480 is to small for this.

Just put a link to it.

Turn down the OSA to 8
and turn the Gauss up to 1.25

yeah but I’m going to be rendering this for dvd format and since I’m working with people I’m not too familliar with… I’ll be rendering straight to the correct size… 720 X 576… so that much detail is out. Doing huge detailed renders is lovely and I’ll do a couple for fun once I’m further along. But for animations render time is all important.

So here’s my first test anim… the rudders don’t move yet… I haven’t come up with an automated system for them yet… The ropes all swing on their own but I’m thinking they can swing a bit more maybe.

http://www.macouno.com/misc/balloon_flyby_1.mov

It’s quicktime btw… around 5mB and only 8 seconds… and I know… that background is nasty hehe :wink:

Nice work so far - the model looks very good - all these details…I’m looking forward to see updates.

Hello, everyone!
macouno: you seem to have misunderstood JDA :wink:
When you render at twice the size a series of picture for an animation you can decrease the OSA and other type of sampling since that will be taken care of by the resizing of pictures.
Therefore when you do oversized rendring you don’t loose time. On the contrary it render faster than rendering at the correct output but with high quality output settings.
Just try on a little sequence of 20 pictures you’ll see the difference! You just need to start with pictures twice the size of your final rendering.
When you will resize them with the bicubic algorythm, a resampling is going to occure that will clean and eradicate all aliasing artefacts.

Thank you Jlsb! :slight_smile:

The ropes look ok in the animation.

The blades are turning to slow IMO.

I like it. The detailing on the model is fantastic. But the movement needs a little work. With the speed that the balloon is moving the undercarrage (boat) would be doing some serious swinging. The pivot point being just below the centre axis of the balloon. At the moment it all looks a bit stiff.

Carry on with the excellent work.

Right… JLSB… I get it now… but I’ll leave testing that for when I’m further along.

And you’re right as well Wonka… it still needs work and I don’t envisage it going that quickly anyway. It should go at a leasurely pace… and I just didn’t want to render 1000 frames :wink:

and the ropes? why ropes are not animated? they have SO MUCH potential in them that i NEED to see them swingin’ :smiley:

yay, as I said, now, you NEED to keep up :smiley:

Yeonil

edit. ok at the very end one of the ropes is ainmated. but look at the beginning :smiley:

Ok you guys are right about the jaggies… rendering at double size with an OSA of 5 gets rid of them…

It does increase the rendertime however. Actually… it doubled.

But I solved that by shortening the AO distance to 1 and upping the octree to 128… It still takes around a minute extra to render, but that’s worth it.

And I tested the Gaussian blur… have a look for yourselves… they are consecutive renders from the anim cause that’s easier for me… hard to spot the differences though.

I’ll paste links cause they’re rather big… full size .tga 1.2 mb

No gaussian blur:
http://www.macouno.com/misc/animtest_20039.tga

0.50 gaussian blur:
http://www.macouno.com/misc/animtest_20040.tga

1.00 gaussian blur:
http://www.macouno.com/misc/animtest_20041.tga

1.50 gaussian blur:
http://www.macouno.com/misc/animtest_20042.tga

I’m doing another test anim on my other puter now… I’ll post the results this evening… well when it’s done. :wink:

I’d let the ropes swing according to the motion too, and not just to the wind. And it moves a bit too fast IMO. But, great work!

They do swing according to the motion.

This is what I made for it.

http://www.macouno.com/misc/bones.jpg

See the base of those 3 bones moves along the path of the balloon and so does the other end… but the other end is using an ika on an empty that has an offset… so it trails behind.

The tips of the “ropes” are parented to empties that have a copy location on the elbow joint of those armatures.

Thus the faster the balloon moves the more those tips get pulled back and up… and there’s a copy rotation in there somewhere to another empty that follows the path so the ropes all turn after the balloon itself turns as well… You’ll be able to see the effect clearer after this anim is done… It’s mostly about tweaking the effect and motion, the rigging is there.

[edit] Ehm but at 5 mins per frame the next test will take approximately 25 hours hehe [/edit]

i am an newbie in rigging so i dont understand the pic, but the offset alone wont work, when the balloon will turn. then you must make them move along the centrifugal force and not offsetting previous movements

its like the post-action movement (there is a special name for the one of principles of animation, i don’t know the exact one, but there is pre-action movement and post action one, and here the ropes lack the post action one i think)

Yeonil

i hate to spoil your day but because your useing propellers your gonna HAVE to use motion blur.

at tleast it’ll solve 2 problems at once.

If your animating it I would seriously concider faking global illumination (to many different methods of doing this to mention in one post) instead of useing raytracing for everyframe.

Dude! You rock! That is one of the coolest things I have seen for a long time!

Now, you said this was for a DVD production, but do you have any more specific animation? Is it part of a larger project?

Congrats! That is awesome! The ropes trailing in the wind… genius.

Well macouno I know you don’t want deal with long render
times but if you want quality then you will pay for it with time.

Can you can render at 1440 X 1152
then just resize the whole animation down by 50% to 720 X 576?

Try
Ambient Occlusion - 14 samples / Dist 1.00
1440 X 1152
OSA 5
No Gauss
Resized to 720 X 576

Redo this one and compare.

http://www.macouno.com/misc/balloon_dev_190035.jpg

Yeonil:
Ehm… yes I know what you mean… See with the bone system I get as a result 3 empties that basicly make the tips of the ropes move back and up in a correct way when moving. The reason there’s three is only cause I don’t want them all to move exactly the same. But those 3 empties also have a copy rotation constraint aimed at another empty that follows the path behind the balloon. So that makes the tips relative position rotate as the balloon rotates, but with a time offset. I’ll tell you… I got the animation of these well sorted for once.

Steve343:
I know mate… mblur… but then… if it’s cruising at a leasurely speed… then they don’t really have to turn that quickly. I’ll just have to test that later on. I don’t know if I get your point about GI & raytracing… there’s no reason to choose between those. I’ll probably use a sky texture driven AO

Mrdodobird:
Thx man… It’s for a larger project… basicly for animating cutscenes (little intro/outros) between bits of video footage… basicly the balloon will fly over a map from one film location to another. But it’s still very uncertain… So I’m doing this 50/50 now… making it as a fun challenge and possibly money later on.

JDA:
That’s almost exactly what I’m rendering right now.
I’m doing 1536 X 1152 now which I’ll convert to DV square pixel… mostly because I am guessing that the video editor will use a DV editing suite.
In the end though I’ll let the precise dimensions depend on what they want… I don’t care really and they may decide on widescreen. Too early to tell.

And once again guys… thanks to everyone for responding… you’re really helping me along with the tips and opinions… :wink:

Tomorrow morning the current version test anim should be done and I’m tempted to do some color and or landscape testing.

You say time offset. I gess the slowpar button is also pressed? :wink:

sky driven global illumination is raytraceing and so is probably taking up most of your time when it comes to rendering. it looks fantastic but you pay for it with time … consider usinging just lights for you animation tests at least.