Slash - Add-on for Blender 2.8+ onion skinning animation workflow

Hi Aaron,

I had to move working on other things but I try picking up the work with Slash now.

I’m not sure that I have the last version of Slash (I don’t find any version numbers on the files). I try installing the last one I have, but for some reason it would not even install.

Also, I bought the original file through the Gumroad site, but they don’t seem to have Slash anymore. I am now registered also to BlenderMarket, but can’t get to the files, apparently because I bought Slash somewhere else.

Thanks,

Neri

Hey Neri,

Please try this gumroad link, if you bought it before, you should be able to download the latest version of Slash.

Please uninstall your current version and then try to install the new version.
If you want to check your downloaded Slash’s version, just unzip it, and check the __init__.py in side the unzip folder, at the top of this file, you can get the version:

bl_info = {
    "name": "Slash",
    "description": "Onion Skinning made simple",
    "author": "Aaron Elkins",
    "version": (0, 1, 0),
    "blender": (2, 80, 0),
    "location": "3D View > Slash",
    "category": "3D View"
    }

Here you can get the version is: 0.1.0.

BTW, here is the Gumroad page: https://gumroad.com/l/JPkRX
And make sure you login with the right Gurmoad account.

Thanks Aaron, I downloaded 0.1.0 from gumroad. For some reason it won’t install. From Blender->Preferences->Add-ons I choose Install, I go to the right folder and I mark the Slash zip file, and I press “Install add-on from file”, but I don’t get the checkbox, and Slash is not in the list. This is the same way I’m using for installing other add-ons, and didn’t have a problem before

1 Like

After install Slash, you can search by the keyword Slash and you can get the checkbox, and if it does not work, just reset your addon preferences and try again. see image below:

Thanks, I know about those but they don’t help. I downloaded the file again just to make sure. When I click “Install add-on from file” I even get a message at the bottom on blue background:

Modules installed () from C://… //Slash into C://…2.80//scripts//addons

But I don’t get the Slash checkbox, even when using the search. Load Factory Preferences doesn’t help. Tomorrow I’ll try with another computer.

1 Like

In another computer, clicking “Install add on from file” gets this error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\startup\bl_operators\userpref.py” line 48, in execute module_filesystem_remove(path, addons,f)

File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\startup\bl_operators\userpref.py” line 625, in execute module_filesystem_remove os.rmdir(f_full)

OSError: [WinError 145[ The Directory is not empty: ‘C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\
Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\Slash’

Try to remove this folder C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\Slash

And install the Slash.zip again.

I just download the Slash.zip from gumroad. And install it into my Blender 2.8, and it works well. Please note that before install newer version, you must first remove the old version.

I removed the Slash folder, and now it’s exactly as in my other computer: when clicking “Install addon from file” the Slash checkbox does not appear, nor found in the search.

Also, I did remove the old Slash before (= unchecked the checkbox)

This should mean you’ve successfully installed Slash, just search Slash and choose All as shown below:

Unchecking the checkbox just disable the add-on, you should click the Remove button near the checkbox. :smiley:

Not sure where do I find “Remove”. Anyway as before Slash just isn’t there. I know how to use the search, but it doesn’t find the Slash checkbox. To be sure I removed (manually) again and tried to install again. Same thing. I even found a video addon tutorial in Youtube to check that I do it right.

1 Like

Click the triangle to show more info, and you can see the Remove button.

While searching Slash, be sure to put the category in All so that your searching is global.

One more suggestion, Installing from the .zip file directly other than unzip the file and install from the folder. :slight_smile:

It appears that this is a general Blender problem since I now get it with another addon as well. Although I installed addons from file before several times (inclining several Slash versions) with no problem at all, and I verified again in a video tutorial that I’m doing it right. The status bar does tell me the addon was installed, yet it will not show it to the checkbox, no matter what (which is why I can’t remove as well). I’m searching if anybody got this bug in 2.8. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Ohh, Can you remove your Blender, reinstall the official Blender 2.8 instead, don’t try the 2.8x, just download the 2.8 and try again.

One more try: remove this addon folder entirely and retry:
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons

Thanks, it doesn’t help, except I can now see the files appear in the folder when I install.

An update: I uninstalled and installed Blender 2.8, downloaded again several different add-ons. I verified that I can install with no problems several 2.8 add-ons. However, Slash is the one that I cannot install, any of the versions I have (including some that I installed in the past). As before, the console lets me know that it was installed, yet the checkbox does not appear.

Can you try in another computer if possible, because there are no such reports from users, and I think it 's the problem of Blender just in your PC, and I just verified that it works well on my side.