sliding verts selected on the x axis along the y axis

I don’t know how to phrase this question, so I drew a pic. How do I rotate a line of verts around the x axis without moving them on the y axis? Move of a skew. I want to create an even slop with more than 3 verts.
???

Thanks
Talmore

set the 3D cursor on the middle vertex, rotate those 3 vertices around the cursor until the outer vertices have reached the points where you want them along the y axis. then use vertex snapping to snap them along the x axis to one of the corner vertices.

this is possible with the shear function (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+S). However, only works on 1 axes (based on view).

example:
go in top view & add plane. Subdivide mesh one time. Select 3 middle (vertical) vertices. Then shear

Oh, Shear. Currently shear in blender simply sucks. It works only in view axes, and only horizontally. But it probably gets better with the coming of bmesh.

Yes, there are walk-arounds as stated by Sago. But if you are doing a large project and want to do this on a particular region, simply give it up.

Give it up?!

Never.

There is always a way. In this case I can think of two more decent procedures, but for this example I like rotate and X-snap the best. If there are additional constraints, such as the need to do it repeatedly or on a funky axis, the original poster can tell us, but that would only require further creativity. But, no point in over-solving and definitely no point in throwing in the towel without even encountering a difficult constraint.

-rking

Thanks for the response. I was doing it this way before (select, rotate, then snap) but I was hoping for a simpler method, My model was getting sloppy and the alignment snapping changes the slope… I may just build the slope first with few verts then add sections where I want my holes. Always fun making my brain melt. I have so many blend files of failed ideas/methods, but a great way to learn.

Is the angle at which the two vertices end up relative to their start critical for accuracy? If not, and you can eyeball it, then you could use Scale – select the two verts, use Median Point, and Scale along the axis parallel to the edges the verts reside on. If the edges connected to the verts are not 100% parallel you will get some cross-axis displacement, but not as much as with rotation.