Slight problem with hair/fur

Hey guys,

I’m working on a character which I intend to make furry from head to toe. the problem I’m running into is that the hair particle system limits you to 100,000 strands. While this is more than enough for a scalp, for a character that is completely covered in fur this number is drastically low. The strands are far enough apart that this seems more suitable for a cactus than for fur. (visually, each strand appears to be about a centimeter from the next, even with 100,000 strands)

Is there a way to increase this number, or do I have to somehow do the entire model piece-by-piece? Is there a way to apply multiple fur emitters on the same mesh, without having a dummy mesh underneath?

Thanks in advance.

you may have to use the compositing techniques and nodes, splitting up the model across scenes(?) to get around the limit, and compositing the final image together using alphaover or overlay mix nodes.

I can’t imagine the compute time to calculate wind blowing on all that hair…

Hey, check out the new forum skin!

Anyway, the limit only seems to be on a per-mesh basis. (so blender itself is capable of more, which makes me wonder why the limit is there)

My plan is to split up the model into sections, and apply the fur to each section individually. That’s the only work around I can think of. It seems clear to me that I’m using this fur engine in a way that is a bit beyond what the developers intended. (as I said, this is way more than enough for a scalp…)

Is it possible to render the strands without rendering the mesh that is emitting them?

you can also alt-d duplicate linked the patch of fur. This creates another OB: object, but re-uses the same ME: mesh. May save compute time. See the selectors under Link and Materials pane in Editing buttons. This is normally for when you create a MEsh called Sheep and the have a bunch of OBjects called Harry, Billy, and Sue, each of whom are clones of each other. So, you could have a hair mesh called LongHairPatch and then replicate them linked all over the body.

i think the strands come from the mesh, so no u have to render the mesh.

Thanks for your reply. There have been updates on my progress which I neglected to post here, so I’ll give you the scoop.

What I ended up trying is almost exactly as you described. I used vertex groups to define all of the various areas that the fur was to be applied an the various meshes, and rendered with quite nice results- except that the uv mapping wasn’t working. The fur would not receive the color that it was supposed to. What’s more, when you have the “random” and “even” buttons clicked, the fur flickers during animation. I presume the even button is to blame, but on a furry character, use of this control is a must. (I think the position of the fur is being calculated on a frame-by-frame basis) In frustration, I searched the forum, and stumbled onto this.

My decision at this point has been to proceed to work on the second character that my project requires, then the scenery, and if necessary even the animation itself; and add the fur when jakha has his patch ready. Without the ability to obey uv mapping, I just can’t use the fur system that is in place now, and switching over to another 3d package would almost defeat the purpose of this project. (as a fox, this character just wouldn’t look right as a single solid color)

Exactly. :] Jahka is our savior.

And you can make the emitting mesh invisible.