Slow Parenting Help

Whenever I slow parent an object, the child retracts and scales down whenever I rotate the parent. How do I keep the child object from doing this?
Thanks

Hi!
If I’ve understood correctly,you want child follows parents movement ,but parent rotation and scale not to influence on it?!
Note , parenting is exactly that!All movement,scale and rotation influences on child.So…like child-parent relation in attachment.To ignoge scale and rotation use CopyLocation Constraint
Select your “child”>F7 Object buttons>Constraints panel>add Constraint choice CopyLocation
set Target OB:your_parent_name(like parent in CopyLocation_Offset.blend)You’ll see “child” go over parent,don’t worry!Press Offset button …and that’s all,I think so!?
If you want help,attach .blend or some jpeg to make more clear your explanations and questions!:smiley:
All the best!

Attachments

CopyLocation_Offset.blend (176 KB)

I do want it to rotate.Just rotate around a constant radius, instead of being pulled toward the center of the parent.

That doesn’t sound like standard behaviour. Can you post a .blend file?

Sorry for the late file post. Real work got in the way. Actually this is real work. Anyway here is a simple blend file illustrating what I’m talking about.
thanks
-Hal

Attachments

slowparent.blend (139 KB)

The whole slow parent thing seems to work as expected only when you have keyframes applied to them and not interactively in the 3D view . Kind of make sense since how can you gauge the relative change in the parenting relationship without a timeline ?

Also the odd scaling and “black hole” effect you are getting is due to the fact that you have slow parenting on the child objects, most likely this causing a cyclic dependency even though the console doesn’t print it out, this is an old part of the animation system, and not likely worked on for a while … Also it might be a good idea to get rid of the time offset for the parent object, it doesn’t need one .

Here is a file that works as expected . Alt-A to play the animation . Just rotating in the 3D view will not affect the children unless you key the parent .

Attachments

slow_parenting_keyed.blend (175 KB)

Well alrighty then. Thanks a bunch. You know your stuff. That’s exactly what I want to happen. Actually it would be kind of cool to have the children thrown out from the parent’s center when rotating the parent quickly and then snap back, like they were attached by rubber bands,but I don’t want to push my luck.
Thanks again!

Actually it would be kind of cool to have the children thrown out from the parent’s center when rotating the parent quickly and then snap back, like they were attached by rubber bands
The parent object only rotates here and the local Loc keys can be keyed individually . To not get confused and to keep the same rotation move and key using the Transform Properties subwindow (directly input the change you want then insert a key) . It also helps if you name the child objects with a clue as to which direction they need to move (like Cube_LX for move in a positive/left value along the X) . The example below isn’t exactly like rubber bands, but you can tweak the IPOs to get the desired effect …

Attachments

slow_parenting_LOC.blend (179 KB)