Slow Playback Speed

I just started a tutorial on animating a character and blocked out the keyposes. When hitting Alt + A, everything starts fine at 25FPS but drops to 3-4FPS when the character starts to move a little more. I don’t want to believe my computer is the problem. I just bought a new one and i’m rendering really fast in cycles.
i7 6700K 4Ghz
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
16GB Ram DDR4
The only thing i can think of being the problem is the rig. Since i didn’t create it myself, i don’t know too much about it. It’s pretty complex with around 2k Controls. (This is what the tutor says) It’s a humane rig with facial controls and switched between FK and IK everywhere. It makes no differnce if i change the rendering type from wire to shaded or texture. Result is the same. Task manager says 25% workload for the processor, so there should be enough power left.
If this is normal, how can anyone create decent animations? I didn’t find anything helpful on the internet. Do you have any ideas?

Regards, Ello

Anytime Blender has to calculate motion, it has to compute certain factors every time you render. It even slows down further when you have motion blur active. If you animate the rig by itself, not much data is factored in and the speed reaches its max. Add enough meshes to the work area and it has to calculate everything in it and I have 32 GBs to run my PC.

[QUOTE=XeroShadow;3141865 Add enough meshes to the work area and it has to calculate everything in it and I have 32 GBs to run my PC.[/QUOTE]

I have no motion blur active, and hid all meshes (only Rig visible) ( was only one character, and some low poly furniture ) and it changes nothing. Even changing to the low poly proxy character is the same result.

Are there a lot animations going at the same time? That might be it.

Moved from “Artwork > Animation” to “Support > Animation and Rigging”

The order of modifiers might also be an issue…
It’s less taxing on the CPU to subdivide an animated mesh than to animate a subdivided mesh - if that makes sense.

A sub-surf modifier will definitely cause lag in the viewports either for interaction or playback.

Thanks for the answers yet,
i was busy during the week and didn’t find the time to answer. After searching for some time i found out some kind of subsurf modifier activated itself after about 100 frames. There is no “real” modifier cause the character is a linked mesh, but it got much smoother from one frame to the next. I didn’t find any responsible “keyframes” yet. But putting simplify to subdivision level 0 gives me the stable 24-25 FPS back. It was set to 6!!, which crashed the framerate. Unfortunately i have still no idea, where this “subsurf” was coming from or how to get rid of it.

For me this is kind of solved, since it’s okay for me to animate with a subsurf lvl 0 model. If you have any further ideas or solutions i would really be happy. Thanks so far everyone.

The best way to get help from an experienced person is to provide a copy of the blend. You don’t have to post that publicly of course. It’s a little tricky to find the cause of something using text as the only reference.

If an attribute has been animated, there should be a trace of it in the dope sheet. Have a look in there for the culprit.

If your computer has the required hardware for it, instead of using the normal subsurf for animations look into opensubdiv that had been implemented since Blender 2.76 as an option in the subsurf modifier
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.76/OpenSubdiv

In term of playback speed, see the video that compare in Blender the default and rather slow subsurf to the various opensubdiv backends :

Now if you don’t have the hardware required for opensubdiv, enabling the option shouldn’t make any difference and it will stay as slow as regular subsurf