Slowness of the node editor

Noticed on workplace laptop that node editor (2.71) is really slow (almost unusable), particularly zooming. This machine has core i3 2.40Ghz, 64bit Win7, 4Gb memory. Other parts are not slow, only node editor. There is only CPU computing option.

It was the material preview. If it’s visible it makes resizing, moving etc. slow. Kind of annoying to switch it on/off every time adjusting the material, but at least you can work with slower computers this way.

set render settings/performance/threads: fixed to 1 less than auto-detect

You have a low-end laptop thus low-end performance.

It’s only in resizing nodes. I guess it’s heavy without hardware acceleration. I have almost same problem in my computer, but closing the material preview helps. In this laptop even closing the preview doesn’t make resizing nodes faster.

Sometimes developers don’t realize something is slow when they are using top of the line computers, but the feature could be optimized for slower computers as well.

Adjusting threads doesn’t seem to do anything.

Sometimes developers don’t realize something is slow when they are using top of the line computers,

The Blender Foundation recently raised the specs of what is considered a minimum requirement for a computer to run Blender.

Right… well, it’s not like you can’t write a faster resizing routine. Maybe speed has not been a priority when writing the node system.