Smart UV 1.4.4 - Spread Loop

(jimpaw80) #21

Thanks man, Be sure to let me know if you have any suggestions.

(actimelvanille) #22

I (or maybe it was CodeManX) did that a while ago in case you still need it:

bl_info = {    "name": "UVcut",
    "location": "File/UserPrefs/Input Add new key in 3D View 'object.uvcut'",  
    "description": "UVcut",  
    "category": "UV",
}

import bpy

class UVcut(bpy.types.Operator):
    """UVcut"""                         # blender will use this as a tooltip for menu items and buttons.
    bl_idname = "object.uvcut"          # unique identifier for buttons and menu items to reference.
    bl_label = "UVcut"                  # display name in the interface.

def execute(self, context):         # execute() is called by blender when running the operator.

# The original script

bpy.ops.mesh.mark_seam(clear=False)
        bpy.ops.mesh.select_all(action='TOGGLE')
        bpy.ops.uv.unwrap(method='ANGLE_BASED', margin=0.001)

return {'FINISHED'}             # this lets blender know the operator finished successfully.

def register():
    bpy.utils.register_module(__name__)

def unregister():
    bpy.utils.unregister_module(__name__)

# This allows you to run the script directly from blenders text editor
# to test the addon without having to install it.
if __name__ == "__main__":
    register()

bl_info = {    "name": "UVweld",
    "location": "File/UserPrefs/Input Add new key in 3D View 'object.uvweld'",  
    "description": "UVweld",  
    "category": "UV",
}

import bpy

class UVweld(bpy.types.Operator):
    """UVweld"""                         # blender will use this as a tooltip for menu items and buttons.
    bl_idname = "object.uvweld"          # unique identifier for buttons and menu items to reference.
    bl_label = "UVweld"                  # display name in the interface.

def execute(self, context):          # execute() is called by blender when running the operator.

# The original script

bpy.ops.mesh.mark_seam(clear=True)
        bpy.ops.uv.unwrap(method='ANGLE_BASED', margin=0.001)

return {'FINISHED'}              # this lets blender know the operator finished successfully.

def register():
    bpy.utils.register_module(__name__)

def unregister():
    bpy.utils.unregister_module(__name__)

# This allows you to run the script directly from blenders text editor
# to test the addon without having to install it.
if __name__ == "__main__":
    register()

what i’d like to see is a proper uv relax tool like in 3ds max for example.

cheers christian

(jimpaw80) #23

I am not sure what your script is suppose to do, I am not a coder myself, but i tried to install it and the only thing that happened is that the island gets unselected. The function that we are working on takes place inside the uv editor only and makes it possible to cut and stitch islands or faces interctive without unwrapping anything and works on all things. the only real issue right now is to make the island to stay in place when it is beeing updated. Since this involves an unwrap Blender always rotates the island and that does not feel user friendly enought because it is confusing the user. If you have any good advice on that be sure to send it my way.

Regarding the relax tool in Max you have to be more specific. can you include a link or an example of what you are after compared to Blender?

Thank for the feedback/Code.

ps. hit me up on Skype and i can show you live what we are working on, Skype: jimpaw80

(actimelvanille) #24

hey jim, i quickly searched for a video on the max relax tool.

it has three smoothing options:

• Relax By Face Angles Relaxes the vertices based on the shape of the faces. It tries to align the geometric shape of the face to the UV face. This algorithm is mainly used to remove distortion and not so much to remove overlap, and is best suited for simpler shapes.
  • Relax By Edge Angles This default method is similar to Relax By Face Angles except that it uses the edges that are attached to the vertices as the shape to match. It typically works better than Relax By Face Angles but tends to take longer to reach a solution. This method is bested suited for more complex shapes.
  • Relax By Centers The original Relax method from previous versions of 3ds Max. It relaxes vertices based off the centroids (centers of mass) of their faces. It does not take into account the face or edge shapes/angles so it is mainly useful for removing overlap or for faces that are mostly rectangular.

here is the link to the autodesk manual
http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-4D0327CC-BDC3-4687-8158-042436CE4FCD.htm,topicNumber=d30e95475

as far as i know blender doesn’t have a relax tool at all … you can use the brush but this doesn’t make the stretching less but more mostly.

(Hammers) #25

Man this needs to be in trunk one day! Awesome work. Putting this on my ‘to-get-asap’ addons list :slight_smile: Thanks!

(jimpaw80) #26

Thanks! In all honesty it is still rather simple, the modt cool things are still to come. But i actually agree with you it would be great if Blender could include this in the trunk, it would make it a lot easier for people coming from other 3D applications.

Stay tuned!

(jellbelle) #27

time to sale!:yes:
*Black friday

(jimpaw80) #28

Okay Smart Uv 1.1.2 is here.

New features,

Context sensetive rip with tho different types of rip.
Toggle Uv.

Hope you guys like it!

https://vimeo.com/194565675

(Meta-Androcto) #29

hi, your tools could be welcome in 2.8x, drop into irc freenode #blenderpython for a chat

(jimpaw80) #30

Thats great! I have never used irc, but will install as soon possible.

Hit me up on Skype when you have time aswell! Skype: jimpaw80

(jimpaw80) #31

Okay Smart uv 1.2.1 is here!

• Context sensetive rip tool.
  • Auto rip was removed and will be added to another tool.
  • Rip tool now rips all faces contained in the edge selection instead of just the selected verts.
  • Fill selection tool (same as in my smart fill addon but for the uv editor).
  • Updated the preferences, it is now much easier to navigate.

(jimpaw80) #32

Okay 1.3.0 is here! In this version shortest path select was added to work in the uv editor aswell!

It’s not flawless yet, it also only works for edges and vertecies, next version will have face selection aswell. Hope you guys like it!

(chafouin) #33

Amazing job on improving the UV workflows, I really love your addon!! It was really needed :slight_smile:

Here are some feedback and suggestions (asking for a lot, of course pick what you think is relevant! ^^ ):

1. Make the Align Tools UI context sensitive: if you select something other than two islands (like a few edges or vertices) , use Align to an axis instead of Align Island.
  2. I would love to see the Stitch offer the option to scale the islands to the same ratio before stitching it. The best way would be a modal option, so it’s not possible with an addon, but maybe there is a way to do something?
  3. Manipulators, for consistency with the other views (apparently possible to do within an addon: https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?362954-2D-manipulator-in-UV-Image-editor)
  4. Since you are working with roaoao, I am wondering if you would be able to give more customization possible to the Pie Menus, a la Pie Menus Editor.
  5. I love the Re-Unwrap, I am wondering if it would be possible to get it working for selected vertices and edges, not just islands and faces. Also when unwrapping faces it disconnects them from the rest of the islands, is it possible to avoid that?
  6. Add shortcut information for Snap UV and Rotate UV in the Add-on Preferences, so we don’t have to rewatch your videos to know how to use them :slight_smile:
  7. Would it be possible to add support for a keyboard shortcut for the Select Shortest Path, after having selected two vertices?

Edit: Another one: 8. I would love to get the Pack Islands to maintain mirrored/overalapping UVs that have been snapped together. No idea how that would work though ^^

Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

(jimpaw80) #34

I need some time to check what is possible, i will get back to you on this. Stay tuned for more badass tool, still a ton to go!

(1D_Inc) #35

Also purcharged)
Thank you!!

(jimpaw80) #36

Thanks for supporting this! Next update shortest path select will work with facemode aswell and maybe some algoritm for edges will get better aswell.

(servapunk) #37

Hi jimpaw80, I have a couple of suggestions. It would be good if the re-unwraps funtion could preserve F6 options so the user can chosse an unwrap method between angle base or conformal. I think the funtion always use angle base method which is good in most casses but using conformal method on hard surface models usually delivers better results.
And a new funtion I would like to see is a way to normalize the uv density of certain selected uv to the density of another uv which the user already define. Sometimes is not good by using Average Island Scale because you could already have an especified density and this funtions just average alll. Or when for example you have multiple uv island sharing the same space but those uvs have not the exact same size on the mesh, so by using Average Island Scale those uvs will not match anymore.

(jimpaw80) #38

Thanks for the feedback i will look into this. I think it’s a good thing having as much options as possible so the F6 thing is really logical.

(fiendish55) #39

I bought instantly after I saw how you managed to get in easy overlapping uv islands and straighten by edge selection feature, I gotta say its best uv tools so far in blender and I can give couple of nice to have features to make it even better.

1. https://answers.unrealengine.com/storage/temp/3282-overlapping+uv+example.jpg
    In autodesk maya there is this feature that allows you to toggle on/off colored mode that shows you instantly where in your uv space you have flipped or overlapping uv islands, this is insanely neat feature to have in my opinion and so far there is no one tried to replicate it in blender.

2. Pack uv islands but keep stacked uv islands together
    That moment when you stack uv islands over each other and run pack islands command just to realize it messes up your shared uv space islands all over the map again xD do¨h

(jimpaw80) #40

Both of them is already on my list! But it will take some time before we get there. Its a lot of heave coding and right now i am trying to get the basics really solid.Here is whats coming in the next version.

1. Shortest select path tool for face mode, done.
  2. Select face loops. Done
  3. When using the re-unwrap tool you cannow press F6 to get up the option box to choose angle based or conformal etc. Done
  4. Re-unwrap has a new option that fixes selected faces but does not cut them out from the surrounding faces. Done
  5. Fixed bugs, one where the snap tool would crash after you pressed F6 and lowerered the value. Done
  6. Icons in the preferences that will display popup help when you hoover over them. Done.

Some minor bugs, soon ready for release!

After this i have a ton of tools on the way, Thanks for the feedback and stay tuned for more!