Updated - Smart-UV 1.2 Released, requiring blender 2.42
- Optimized checking for redundant angles. You might notice a huge speed boost in square/mechnical models. You’ll notice no difference in organic models, but thats really not what smart-uv is for…
Updated - Smart-UV 1.1 released, requiring blender 2.42
- Uses the new mesh, so updates in realtime while you watch it
- Cleaned up mouse handling and updates
- Shows progress on individual islands, because the algorithm can take a very long time to run (Sorry)
- You can now abort by clicking anytime!
- It now is tweakable - you can edit the top of the script to change your preferred alignments / weights
- Horizontal tiebreaking added - and vertical weights added for even more accurate results.
Old version smartuv 1.0: (works with blender 2.41)
Two scripts used while developing mesh UV maps for the game ThreadSpace: Hyperbol.
Both are designed to use when uv-mapping mostly mechanical models - things with angular edges, things with mirrored parts, spaceships, buildings, technical stuff. Not human faces, for example.
Smart-UV works as follows - it works hand-in-hand with “UV Unwrap” or other unwrappers. It tries to intellegently rotate islands in your UV map such that they always are in the same direction, with the longest lines horizontal, vertical being second choice.
Create some mesh you’d like Smart-UV’ed. Unwrap and select the parts however you want them unwrapped. In this example I use lscm on the parts. There are four parts that I want to use the same UV’s - two on each side of the model.
Now thats fine, but I want all four pieces to overlap perfectly. Two are on the back side of the model and are thus mirror images of the others. So I select them, mirror them and run smart-uv again. (I could have mirrored beforehand).
After mirroring and rerunning smart-uv
And now I just select the parts and hold down the snap to grid button (ctrl?) and drag them on top of each other. Smart-UV pre-aligns the island’s centroids with the grid, so they will snap exactly on top of each other if they are exact copies of each other.
Also included in the zip is uv-welder, which will weld all uv’s within a given threshold.
Both scripts are psyco friendly, for speed.