Smoke object with video background

Hi, I hope someone can help me out with this problem. I’m trying to insert a smoke object (torch) onto a movie clip (movie is a background image). The torch works fine separately, in it’s own Blender file, so I know that all of the settings are correct, but it doesn’t work when I recreate the torch with exactly the same settings and place it in a scene with the movie clip. Any ideas?

How do you place it in a scene with the movie clip? Do you composite it with nodes?

Well, I’ve just now been following Rex Harby’s tut (CG Overlay on Video) and I thought it would solve the problem but it’s still not working. He selects the object, goes to the video sequence editor, shift A to add scene. Then, in VSE, select video, shift RMB scene, shift A, effect strip, alpha over. Then in the world setting, set background to black. This technique works for one of the objects in my scene, a picture frame, but doesn’t work for the torch, even when I add the torch without the emitter/domain.

Well, I’ve just now been following Rex Harby’s tut (CG Overlay on Video) and I thought it would solve the problem but it’s still not working. He selects the object, goes to the video sequence editor, shift A to add scene. Then, in VSE, select video, shift RMB scene, shift A, effect strip, alpha over. Then in the world setting, set background to black. This technique works for one of the objects in my scene, a picture frame, but doesn’t work for the torch, even when I add the torch without the emitter/domain. And when I go into the compositor, the frame is there but not the torch. Hmm, maybe I need to play around with the render layers?

Well, I’ve just now been following Rex Harby’s tut (CG Overlay on Video) and I thought it would solve the problem but it’s still not working. He selects the object, goes to the video sequence editor, shift A to add scene. Then, in VSE, select video, shift RMB scene, shift A, effect strip, alpha over. Then in the world setting, set background to black. This technique works for one of the objects in my scene, a picture frame, but doesn’t work for the torch, even when I add the torch without the emitter/domain. And when I go into the compositor, the frame is there but not the torch. Hmm, maybe I need to play around with the render layers?

sorry about the multi-posts. not quite sure how that happened.