My first attempt to smoke simulation failed. I followed a few tutorials and everything looks good till rendering, every time I get black screen, z-buf shows domain object in place but no smoke. I checked everything dozens of times and tried to tweak many parameters. Eventually I downloaded some other blender file with smoke simulation and rendering finished successfully even when I reorganized scene. I compared both files
but I cannot see any major differences between those 2 files.
Guys, do you see anything specific, any unwanted setup, or maybe blender got a bug?
I’m using 2.56beta.
Could be a bug… I’m not sure. It’s happened to me before too, what I did isn’t really a solution, but it fixed my problem. If it’s not too much of a hassle, start over. Or maybe you can append the objects and data from the old blend into the new one.
Thanks for reply. I tried one more scenario. I created two smoke scenes, one in 2.54 and the other in 2.56. This is my result.
Scene 2.56 rendered in 2.56 - black screen.
Scene 2.56 rendered in 2.54 - black screen.
Scene 2.54 rendered in 2.54 - rendering ok.
Scene 2.54 rendered in 2.56 - rendering ok.
So the must be a bug in 2.56 or there is a specific configuration but on the other hand I checked everything many times.
I think this is good point to report the problem to developers.
I’ve done tonnes (± 12) detailed smoke simulations these last few months for my art project, never once did I come upon this problem. It only happened to me in 2.54 once - so it’s most likely something you’ve done
Works fine for me, I just whipped up a quick smoke sim and it renders fine. I created it and tested it using 2.56a from blender.org. I also loaded the file in a week old build from graphicall.org. Both rendered fine. In the attached file, just bake the sim & render. 32-bit win xp here…