Smooth motions with Armaures

(Detritus) #1

Hi!
Is there any way to achieve smooth movements with few armatures? Like the armature equavilent (probably misspelled) to proportional vertexediting? If so, are there any tutorials on the subject?

(S68) #2

You mean smooth movement or smooth deformations?

Smooth movement is just done with proper IPOs for Armatures

smooth deformation comes with:

1 - Very low poly highly subsurfed meshes

2 - Weight painting.

Have a search with second point keywords.

Stefano

(Detritus) #3

I meant smooth deformations. Ok. I´m rather familiar with subsurfs. But what´s weight-painting?
And what are IPOs? Wait, I think I now; the curves that decide the movement? Under that menu by the left?
Cheers!

(Briggs) #4

smooth deformation comes with:

1 - Very low poly highly subsurfed meshes

2 - Weight painting.

Re: Item #1. This is very misleading. Although it is never mentioned on these forums (and I can’t imagine why not), constraint driven deformations can be used to achieve smooth and lifelike effects for hi-poly and low poly subsurf cages alike. Having just one bone and a touch of weight paint for the whole forearm for instance, may work on some game models, but for much more complex and compelling character work you would need a more sophisticated rig.

If your really interested in doing some serious character work in blender your might want to read tutorials written for other software packages to get some ideas (animation master, softimage ect). Blenders character animation facilities although very nice (thanx Mikado!), are still young and incomplete. As such there is a lack of tutorials written for the system that cover advanced topics.

Just my 2 cents.

(theeth) #5

Zarf: Did you have a look at Blendo (on http://blenderchar.weirdhat.com ). It’s very low ploy, use very little weight paint, but by the use of pre-bent limbs, the deformation is praticly flawless. Heck, it even looks as if the muscles were contracting.

Martin

(Apollux) #6

http://mmaigrot.free.fr/didac-blender/ikas/ikas-eng/ik-intro.html

The most complete and at the same time easy-to-fallow tutorial about the armatures system… IMO way more complete than the official documentation.

(Briggs) #7

Zarf: Did you have a look at Blendo (on http://blenderchar.weirdhat.com ). It’s very low ploy, use very little weight paint, but by the use of pre-bent limbs, the deformation is praticly flawless. Heck, it even looks as if the muscles were contracting.

It’s been a while since I took a look at blendo, but I do remember that the deformation in the arms and around the fingers was very nice, I won’t argue that. Furthermore I don’t have the file in front of me right now so I cannot comment on whether or not the model is rigged to accomodate a complete range of motion without it breaking.

You must admit though that blendo is not a particularly complex model. As the complexity of your model increases the amount of bones needed to make him deform nicely will usually increase (I remember reading about the model for the spiderman movie had over several dozen bones for each foot in maya).

Regardless you will notice I wasn’t arguing against the use of low rez meshes at all. I was only saying that it is not NESSECARY to use low rez subsurf cages to obtain smooth deformations. I stand by everything I said and still firmly believe that constraint driven deformations are important in obtaining sophisticated deformations (which a muscle bulge IS NOT)

Finally blendo is a singular case. We cannot, even though I do respect Mr L’s work, glean everything there is to be known about character rigging just by looking at the blendo file.